Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+46
Jess
deliciouzz
Atena
Plutonio
coollagoon
aqua144
all_about
Bubu1028
Stiebs
Zandercute
XxMcho04xX
Gmailchatter
mtzbrave23
will
plad556
chow
Matias383
Iloveluck
Flamedog
Lavadog
vintage
kash50905
sk8trboy
kilabeez
muttly
mousyblack
mimorulz
elise__23
omarstar
Yolande
Betatester1
tam1234
Gumi Maci
ellahello
phan
superman524
Yhanz
Chocice
Dpart544
noel
jellybaby321
edytza007
Tonykart82
_Sharp_
username123456
Hikikomori
50 posters

Houses Around the World

Hikikomori
    Hikikomori

Houses Around the World Empty Houses Around the World

Post by Hikikomori Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:43 am

Hey there!
    In this topic I want you to post your researches about houses around the world Smile
    It's an interesting topic! You can find out a lots of interesting info!
    Tell be about houses in your country Smile Or about some cool houses you saw during your travelling!
    Be creative! Make your own drawings (though it may be hard Smile
    The winner gets a V-Flag!

Hiki
    username123456
    username123456
    Regular
    Regular

Houses Around the World Empty Re: Houses Around the World

Post by username123456 Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 am

study i cant get confused
    _Sharp_
    _Sharp_

Post by _Sharp_ Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 am

when i went to algeria i found haunted houses some that are rusty and some that are huge my grampa and grama had a house with lots of cockroaches they come every night my sisters scream one night i was going to wash my face a cockraoch appered and jumped but i doeged it was so scary but my other grampas and gramas house had i big balcony if you shake it it will almost fall now that was really scary but both of my gramas and grampas houses were big more than my house.once i went to my uncles wedding and guess how big was his houe it was huge!!!!! trust me it was the size of 600 people it took almost 4 houses to fill that house up then when i was staring out the window i saw a bunch of houses small,meduim,big,large.Some of then even hada farm inside there house my uncle had a farm in his house thats weird.

thx for reading hiki you rock

p.s this is fight and i would like a black v flag if i win and i would plz likely to have a vayerman robot suit

here is a pic that took me a long time to makeHouses Around the World Pie10

Last edited by zakurga on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tonykart82
    Tonykart82

Houses Around the World Empty Earth reserch

Post by Tonykart82 Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:30 am

Houses Around the World 98765421
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/40/11/sico10.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/40/11/88888810.png Click on the links for more!!

thanx for lookin Very Happy Very Happy Cool Cool
    edytza007
    edytza007

Post by edytza007 Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:54 am

hi hiki!
    Toilet house:

http://freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/toilet-house.jpg

Nice house:o_O

http://www.totonko.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/letterbox-1.jpg

http://www.bestofremodeling.com/assets/borblog_articles/floatinghomesmos.jpg

http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/hobit-house-2.jpg

Cya hiki!

~edytza007
    jellybaby321
    jellybaby321

Post by jellybaby321 Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:08 am

Houses around the world.

The house I live in is made from bricks and sement with a garden and has two doors front and back. Can I just say I see this black and white tudor house when I am on the way to my grandmas house and when I see that I know its 10 minutes until we arrive. Lol I dont know why I put that lol.

In scotland we went on a holiday and stayed in this massive 100 year old mansion. It was when I was in bed a ghost came and sat on my bed andthen when I told everyone in the morning no one believeed me but the lights flickered and windows opened and I felt a breeze brush past me and a hand on my shoulder.

Ondol is the traditional under floor heating system which has been used in Korean peninsula where the winter is very severe. The heat from the stove in the kitchen goes through the pathway under the floor. They used to use the firewood or straw for the stove. The entrance of the house is made smaller to prevent cold air coming into tht house. They sleep on the warm floor with the mat and they do not need to wear room shoes. In the modern Korean house, Ondol is still used by hot water instead.

Gel is the Mongolian transferable nomad house. They move the house when their domestic animals have eaten the grass in that area. The main 2 poles in the center support the house with the framework. They cover the framework with the white cloth filled with wool and hair of the domestic animals. In the center, they place the stove and the ceiling can be opened for the smoke. During the severe winter, they make double cover on the ceiling.

In Miao village, the houses are built with stones. There are many lime stone caves in this area. The topographical feature here is called ‘Karst' where the stones contain a lot of calcium carbonate.

In dry Fujian area, the houses are built with the hard solid soil walls. The houses were built about 300 years ago. Hakka family was moving from the Yellow River area in 12 th to 13 th century. They build the many town houses surrounded by the hard walls to protect from the outsiders. The houses are 4-storied and hundreds of people are living together. One townhouse is for the whole family who has the same last name. The other family or not Hakka family are not allowed to live.

Tree House of Bagobo Tribe

Mindanao Island, Philippines

The people in the south of Philippines used to live in the tree houses. From the tree houses, they could find the enemies, the poisonous snakes and wild animals. They also could get the cooler and drier air. The houses are needed to rebuild as the trees grow. The tree houses are now used for the meeting and resting.

Houses on the Water

Sabah, Malaysia

The fishermen in Saba of Borneo Island live on the water. In the water village, there are so many houses still now. They use the timber of mangrove tree which has the durability against the sea water to build the water house. The water houses are officially issued the addresses and the family registrations.

House of Lafu Tribe

Norhern Region, Thailand

In the Village of Lahu Tribe, nearly 5,000 people live in the houses on the steep land 1,000 meters above sea level. The floor of the house is 2 meters high and under the floor, they keep cow, pigs and chicken. They made house with the wood panels crossing each other.

Sun Dried Brick House of Berber Tribe

Merzouga, Sahara Desert, Morocco

In southern part of Morocco, the houses are made of the bricks. They mix some water with clayey soil and put them into the mold to dry under the Sun. They use the clay to paste bricks one by one and then, paste the clay over the bricks to build the house. The bricks can keep the room temperature at comfortable level, even the outside temperature is changing drastically during a day. However, the houses are not strong for earthquake.

Anuak Tribe Village

Omo Valley, Ethiopia

Anuak people are living in northwest part of Omo valley. They build their own houses by family and gather in the village. In the center of the village, they grind corn into flour to cook rice porridge.

Nomad Dome-shaped House of Atr Tribe

Eritrea

Afar people are nomad living in Great Rift Valley. Their house is called Bulla which is transferable compact dome shaped house. The house is made of straw which is easy to carry.

Old Town

Sana'a, Yemen

The name of this building means rock castle which was build in 1930. This tall building is made of bricks and painted white on the window frames. The bricks are made from the mixture of clay, soil and straw which could be kept for over 500 years.

Ndebele Tribe Doorway

South Africa

Ndebele women paint colorfully with the original geometrical pattern on the wall of their houses. These beautiful patterns of paintings are their own expression and handed down from a mother to a daughter. They have a keen artistic sense of beauty which shows in their traditional cloths as well.

Reed Houses of Uros Tribe

Titicaca Lake, Peru

Lake Titicaca is nearly 400 meters above sea level. About 2,000 Uros people live on about 50 artificial reed Islands made of floating reeds in the lake. They make living by fishing and tourism. The island, boats and houses are all made of reed. They have to pile fresh reed over them every several months as the old reed is decaying. They started to live in this way as they escaped from Spanish army about 500 years ago.

Tepee (Native American's Tent)

Alberta, Canada

Tepees are the transferable cone shaped house of Native American who move to live for hunting. When they move, they carry the poles on the horses. The house is 3.5 to 5.5 meters high and there is the exhaust pipe in the center of the house. The house is covered by buffalo hide. In these days, they use campus cloth in stead. They only use them when the festival is held.

Wooden Frame Houses

Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

The wooden frame houses are very popular in Germany. They use the bricks for the wall and paint over the bricks which become very strong and last for hundreds of years. The wooden frames make them possible to have many windows.

White Houses

Santorin Island, Greece

The entrance of the Island is fully filled with the white houses on the cliff. The Island used to be an active volcano and the eruption around 1500 B.C. created this unique shape of the Island.

Andalucia, Spain

In Andulucia of south Spain, the underground house, ‘Cueba' could keep cool inside even it is over 40 degrees outside and keep inside warm during the winter.

Sami (Lap Tribe) House
    Rovaniemi, Finland
    Sami people of North Norway are nomad and they move their houses in summer and in winter. In their winter houses which are made of wood and clay, they use fire to keep them warm. In summer, they live in transferable houses looks like the ones of Native American.

The people in the south of Philippines used to live in the tree houses. From the tree houses, they could find the enemies, the poisonous snakes and wild animals. They also could get the cooler and drier air. The houses are needed to rebuild as the trees grow. The tree houses are now used for the meeting and resting.

The fishermen in Saba of Borneo Island live on the water. In the water village, there are so many houses still now. They use the timber of mangrove tree which has the durability against the sea water to build the water house. The water houses are officially issued the addresses and the family registrations.

The link to see pictures of all those I described is http://www.hgpho.to/wfest/house/house-e.html
    noel
    noel

Post by noel Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 am

house in austria are mostly apartments wich is a smalll house about almost the whole population of austrians live in apartments not houses i live in a house but my friendsmostly live in apartments lol! more abou house in austria is that they can have up too seven houses cool right no realy my house has 6 rooms our house in austria could have many shapes

Last edited by noel on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dpart544
    Dpart544
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Dpart544 Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:06 am

My first house is a Chalet, they are most common in mountainous contries like Switzerland.
    A chalet is a building or house in the Alpine region made of wood.
    The term chalet stems from Arpitan speaking part of Switzerland and Savoy and originally referred to the hut of a herder. It comes from the medieval Latin calittum. In Quebec French, any summer or vacation dwelling, especially near a ski hill, is called a chalet whether or not it is built in the style of a Swiss chalet.
    Many chalets in the Alps were originally used as seasonal farms for dairy cattle. The herders would live in the chalet and make butter and cheese in order to preserve the milk produced. These products would then be taken, with the cattle, back to the low valleys before winter. The chalets would remain locked and unused during the winter months. Around many chalets there are small huts called mazots which were used to lock away valuable items.
    Houses Around the World A_chal10

My second house is a townhouse (the type of house I live in). It can be found all around the world.
    In architecture and city planning a townhouse is a style of medium-density housing that originated in Europe in the late 17th century, where a row of identical or mirror-image houses share side walls. The first and last of these houses is called an end terrace, and is often larger than those houses in the middle. Usually the difference between a terrace and a townhouse is that a townhouse is usually more than two or three stories high often with one floor of the house underground.
    Houses Around the World Townho10
    PS (If I win, though I probably wont, may I have a white V-Flag, its my fav colour)
    username123456
    username123456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by username123456 Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:51 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/a10.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/aqwe10.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/ertyui10.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/okmni10.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/qwerty10.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/sada10.jpg https://i.servimg.com/u/f87/14/27/41/18/untit10.jpg
    hope i get a V-FLAG affraid
    Chocice
    Chocice

Post by Chocice Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:10 am

Roman Houses and Villas in Italy

When I went to Italy, I went into a very small village with tiny huts made out of twigs some of mud! I didn't stay in one or go in one but it was very small. It was all over grown with plants! Here is a bit more information! Enjoy!!

A Roman villa is a villa that was built or lived in during the Roman republic and the Roman Empire. A villa was originally a Roman country house built for the upper class.

Wealthy Romans escaped the summer heat in the hills round Rome, especially around Frascati (Hadrian's Villa). Cicero is said to have possessed no less than seven villas.

There was a significant difference between the south-eastern half of Britannia (the Roman name for Britain) and the north-western region. In the south-east Roman style country homes known as villas were established. In the north and west of Britain, few villas have been found.

Not all Romans lived in villas. The majority of people living in the country lived in houses in the style of the celtic houses. These houses were usually round and made of timber and thatched.
    Houses Around the World Huts13
    By Chocice Wink Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Chocice on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding a bit more information)
    Yhanz
    Yhanz

Post by Yhanz Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:18 am

I took a drawing here o.o

[img]Houses Around the World 32435

Its called "kubo" Its one of a kind of a house.
    some kubos have stairs outside. its roof is triangular shaped Wink
    well. It is not a kind of house thats big like a hotel lol
    its just simple because its not made of cement but made
    of woods. It has four stands o.o affraid affraid affraid
    Its not weird but its the one people use
    if they are living in a mountain or hills
    because it can stand in the soil.
    Well kubo is made of "Nipa" a kind of wood
    which presents as the wall o.o

~ dianamisaki
    superman524
    superman524

Post by superman524 Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:27 am

Ondol (Heated Floor during Winer)

Suwon, Korea

Ondol is the traditional under floor heating system which has been used in Korean peninsula where the winter is very severe. The heat from the stove in the kitchen goes through the pathway under the floor. They used to use the firewood or straw for the stove. The entrance of the house is made smaller to prevent cold air coming into tht house. They sleep on the warm floor with the mat and they do not need to wear room shoes. In the modern Korean house, Ondol is still used by hot water instead.

Gel

South Gobi Desert, Mongolia

Gel is the Mongolian transferable nomad house. They move the house when their domestic animals have eaten the grass in that area. The main 2 poles in the center support the house with the framework. They cover the framework with the white cloth filled with wool and hair of the domestic animals. In the center, they place the stove and the ceiling can be opened for the smoke. During the severe winter, they make double cover on the ceiling.

Stone Houses of Miao Tribe

Guizhou, China

In Miao village, the houses are built with stones. There are many lime stone caves in this area. The topographical feature here is called ‘Karst' where the stones contain a lot of calcium carbonate.

Complex Houses of Hakka Fanmily

Fujian, China

In dry Fujian area, the houses are built with the hard solid soil walls. The houses were built about 300 years ago. Hakka family was moving from the Yellow River area in 12 th to 13 th century. They build the many town houses surrounded by the hard walls to protect from the outsiders. The houses are 4-storied and hundreds of people are living together. One townhouse is for the whole family who has the same last name. The other family or not Hakka family are not allowed to live.

Houses on the Water

Sabah, Malaysia

House of Lafu Tribe

Norhern Region, Thailand

In the Village of Lahu Tribe, nearly 5,000 people live in the houses on the steep land 1,000 meters above sea level. The floor of the house is 2 meters high and under the floor, they keep cow, pigs and chicken. They made house with the wood panels crossing each other.

Sun Dried Brick House of Berber Tribe

Merzouga, Sahara Desert, Morocco

In southern part of Morocco, the houses are made of the bricks. They mix some water with clayey soil and put them into the mold to dry under the Sun. They use the clay to paste bricks one by one and then, paste the clay over the bricks to build the house. The bricks can keep the room temperature at comfortable level, even the outside temperature is changing drastically during a day. However, the houses are not strong for earthquake.

Anuak Tribe Village

Omo Valley, Ethiopia

Anuak people are living in northwest part of Omo valley. They build their own houses by family and gather in the village. In the center of the village, they grind corn into flour to cook rice porridge.

Nomad Dome-shaped House of Atr Tribe

Eritrea

Afar people are nomad living in Great Rift Valley. Their house is called Bulla which is transferable compact dome shaped house. The house is made of straw which is easy to carry.

Old Town

Sana'a, Yemen

The name of this building means rock castle which was build in 1930. This tall building is made of bricks and painted white on the window frames. The bricks are made from the mixture of clay, soil and straw which could be kept for over 500 years.

Ndebele Tribe Doorway

South Africa

Ndebele women paint colorfully with the original geometrical pattern on the wall of their houses. These beautiful patterns of paintings are their own expression and handed down from a mother to a daughter. They have a keen artistic sense of beauty which shows in their traditional cloths as well.

Reed Houses of Uros Tribe

Titicaca Lake, Peru

Lake Titicaca is nearly 400 meters above sea level. About 2,000 Uros people live on about 50 artificial reed Islands made of floating reeds in the lake. They make living by fishing and tourism. The island, boats and houses are all made of reed. They have to pile fresh reed over them every several months as the old reed is decaying. They started to live in this way as they escaped from Spanish army about 500 years ago.

Tepee (Native American's Tent)

Alberta, Canada

Tepees are the transferable cone shaped house of Native American who move to live for hunting. When they move, they carry the poles on the horses. The house is 3.5 to 5.5 meters high and there is the exhaust pipe in the center of the house. The house is covered by buffalo hide. In these days, they use campus cloth in stead. They only use them when the festival is held.

Wooden Frame Houses

Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

The wooden frame houses are very popular in Germany. They use the bricks for the wall and paint over the bricks which become very strong and last for hundreds of years. The wooden frames make them possible to have many windows.

White Houses

Santorin Island, Greece

The entrance of the Island is fully filled with the white houses on the cliff. The Island used to be an active volcano and the eruption around 1500 B.C. created this unique shape of the Island.

Cueba (Underground Houses)

Andalucia, Spain

In Andulucia of south Spain, the underground house, ‘Cueba' could keep cool inside even it is over 40 degrees outside and keep inside warm during the winter.

Sami (Lap Tribe) House

Rovaniemi, Finland

Sami people of North Norway are nomad and they move their houses in summer and in winter. In their winter houses which are made of wood and clay, they use fire to keep them warm. In summer, they live in transferable houses looks like the ones of Native American.
    phan
    phan

Houses Around the World Empty Vietnamese Houses on Stilts

Post by phan Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:31 am

Here are Vietnamese houses on stilts! These houses are special and they are built only in the river areas in Vietnam. They are built from bamboo and metal sheeting. We don't know how they built these or how they withstand the weight on the water! monkey Anyway, here are two pics of the house.Houses Around the World Vietnamese-house-boat_small
    Houses Around the World Vietna11
    There you have it, houses on stilts. We got this idea because we are vietnamese Smile. Phan would like a blue V-Flag and Phan3 would like a green one, if we win anyway. Thanks for watching hiki Very Happy and good luck to all! cheers
    Phan and Phan3
    ellahello
    ellahello

Post by ellahello Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:48 am

when i went to the philipenes my uncle threw my whole family a welcome party in his manshion it was huge they even had securty gards there!!!! when we had a look around myuncles manshion it had 20 toilets altogether!!!! at least you whould be able to go to the toilet if some one was useing it lol!

p.s if i do win [even though i probally wont] i whould like a pink v-flag please sunny

this is a drawing i did of my uncles manshion
    Houses Around the World Manshi13
    Gumi Maci
    Gumi Maci
    Author
    Author

Post by Gumi Maci Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 am

Houses Around the world
    There are tones of differant sorts of houses all over the world, all special in their own way whether they are wierd or not wierd big or small. Or even if they are on the top of cliffs!
    Houses Around the World Cliffh11
    Or You could have a shoe house? Very Happy
    Houses Around the World Shoe_h11
    A house could have tiles for a roof or maybe straw, a big chimney or a small with smoke puffing out of it.
    So what sort of houses do they have in other countrys?[/b]

Indonesia: House made out of sticks with a big pointy straw roof.
    India: Houses with straw on there roof.
    Mongolia: A white house in the grasslands.
    China: Everyone would live together in a circle.
    Romania: A house with eyes in the roof (air holes type thing)
    Spain: Houses that are under mounds of mud and underhills and a entrance at the side of the hill and just a chimney pointing out the top!
    Bolivia: A house make of stone which is the shape of a acorn.

[b]How big can houses get?

Houses can be ginormous with 200 rooms (a house with 200 rooms would be a mansion) Mansions are like what most Kings and Queens live in from every country.
    Heres a mansion:
    Houses Around the World Mansio11
    Or there could be a little tiny house (like a shed lol)
    Heres a small house:
    Houses Around the World Smaalh11
    Thats all Cya!
    Herip..
    Very Happy

Last edited by herip on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    tam1234
    tam1234

Post by tam1234 Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:54 am

I've read a book and it was placed in 1976 in america and indian family they lived a a house made of mud and everytime it had rained then the house of mud had melted tghey had to collect more mud and when it came to autumn (fall)they had to prepare, therefore they collected barrels and barrelds or mud. There was also a house of wood and again the rain had ruined the wood by rottinng it.

The tudors built many thousands of new houses. A few were grand palaces made of stone but most were smaller. They had wooden frames pinned together with wooden pegs, and the spaces were filled with clay or brick.
    Brick and stone were only used for building big country houses. Most buildings were made of wood and plaster. They would build a wooden frame and then pack it with clay or daub. Lots of houses in the town were built upwards because there was not much space. The floors used to jut out over each other. They were built on both sides of the street and made the streets gloomy because they blocked the light. The streets were narrow and crowded this made it easy for criminals to rob and steal from shops, traders and people.
    People threw their rubbish into the streets. They smelt very unpleasant.
    Tudor shops were more like open market stalls. The shopkeeper had a picture sign to show people what they sold. This was better than a written sign because lots of people could not read

In the 1930s, home building was a practice that required careful planning. This practice was at least in part regulated by the Federal Housing Administration (F.H.A.). This particular federal organization is one that provided insured loan funding for home builders starting in the year 1934.

Even though home building was regulated during this time, it did not take away from the ability of home builders to plan and design one-of-a-kind homes. The general rule of thumb regarding home building during this time was that the homes could be designed how a person wanted them to be designed.

The major stipulation was that each home had to be built in a way that it would blend in with the rest of the homes in the surrounding neighborhood. The following is an example of the types of homes that were built during this decade:

Two 1937 Homes in California including 1937 English-Style Home

Land was very important to people, so most people lived in two or three story houses which were called hovels. If someone wanted to add to their hovel they would have to take off the roof and build another story. Most hovels only had a few windows on each story. There weren't very many fireplaces in the hovels. If you were rich enough to have servants, in cold weather you could have them bring charcoal braises (pieces of charcoal which were heated in metal boxes) into the rooms in which your family is living. In most hovels, the bathrooms were located on the bottom floor near the back of the hovel. Poor people didn't live in hovels. They lived in tall buildings that were very crowded. The poor families didn't possess much. They mostly had only a cooking pot and maybe a stool if they were lucky. They slept with logs for pillows and maybe had a blanket. Some houses were made up of forty or fifty people. Most people lived together for protection, while others lived together because there was no point in wasting their land

ost medieval homes were cold, damp, and dark. Sometimes it was warmer and lighter outside the home than within its walls. For security purposes, windows, when they were present, were very small openings with wooden shutters that were closed at night or in bad weather. The small size of the windows allowed those inside to see out, but kept outsiders from looking in.
    Many peasant families ate, slept, and spent time together in very small quarters, rarely more than one or two rooms. The houses had thatched roofs and were easily destroyed.
    Houses Around the World House-1
    hopefully i win (fingers crossed) i know i dont have as much as info as the others but i read all the books and im glad i did. good luck 2 all Very Happy Exclamation cheers
    Betatester1
    Betatester1
    Regular
    Regular

Houses Around the World Empty WORLDS BIGGEST HOUSE_WORLDS SMALLEST HOUSE

Post by Betatester1 Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 am

WORLDS BIGGEST HOUSE-
    William the Conqueror picked the site for Windsor Castle. It has been a royal residence and fortress nearly 950 years and during that time, it certainly has spread. The house covers 13 acres, making it the biggest inhabited castle in the world. It's also one of the most familiar. Fly into London via Heathrow and it will be one of the first recognizably British things you'll see.
    Fans of equestrian events regularly enjoy the festive Royal Windsor Horse Show, open to the public in May.

Of course, it's not the only castle in the UK. They're all over the place; visitors are spoiled for choice. Here are some others you might want to visit:
    Houses Around the World Fz4vgp
    WORLDS Smallest HOUSE-
    This house, located near the intersection of Dufferin Street and Rogers Road is believed to be Toronto's smallest house. It occupies what used to be a driveway. It's a one bedroom, one bathrooom home that sits on a parcel of land 7.25 feet wide and 113.67 feet long, and has an interior area of just under 300 square feet
    If you like cute, small houses, then this is the house for you.
    Houses Around the World 16iedk1
    Houses Around the World 2ug2po4
    Houses Around the World 2yw79kj
    Houses Around the World Dg5tp5
    Houses Around the World 2urm13k
    Yolande
    Yolande

Post by Yolande Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 am

Hey! Here is my entry! If I win I would like either citizenship or a brown v-flag, or if it is possible I would LOVE an orange swirly hat (it used to be in the shop Wink)! Thanks Smile

Houses Around the World HauntedHouse

Last edited by Yolande on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tam1234
    tam1234

Post by tam1234 Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am

the books ive read were
    a house for mr biswas
    the 1930's
    medival living
    tudor times
    ps my chobot name is tam123
    omarstar
    omarstar

Post by omarstar Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:15 am

Houses Around the World House10
    Some of the earliest descriptions of structures built by Aboriginal people describe them using building materials such as boughs and branches for timber frames covered with bark and hides for cladding. Stone structures such as caves and natural shelters were also used. Whereas numerous examples of stone structures can be seen today, wooden structures are more fragile and survive only in very dry, sheltered inland areas.

But traditonal building techniques survived where materials perished. Long after European settlers had moved through a district, Aboriginal people continued to use timber and plant materials. Many new materials were also adapted to traditional techniques, such as corrugated iron and flattened metal drums for cladding, as well as canvas, hessian and other materials.

Warrangesda Mission is one of the few places in NSW where mission buildings used by Aboriginal people in the late 19th and early 20th century have survived. Warrangesda operated between 1885 and 1924 and had a layout that seems typical of missions of the period. A church and assembly ground in the centre were surrounded by the manager's house, teacher's house, school room, ration store and fences. Rows of small timber-frame houses marked the edges of the settlement. As well as these weatherboard and corrugated iron-clad houses, there were dormitories for single girls and boys. Some of the houses had small fenced yards and water tanks and were furnished with government-issue items such as iron bedsteads. Beyond the formal station there were peripheral camps, usually temporary with canvas tents and bough shelters. After World War II the development of the welfare state included the provision of Aboriginal housing by agencies such as the Aborigines Welfare Board. Between 1945 and 1969 the Board provided home loans and sponsored the building of houses for leasing to Aboriginal families. The building of six timber houses at Coomaditchy Lagoon in 1963 is one example.

The Board also conducted summer camps for Aboriginal children, especially those from the Far West. Some of these camps were held at La Perouse, where canvas tents and canvas nissan-hut style dormitories were erected for sleeping areas with meals provided from large canteens.

The terrace houses of the Block in Redfern were originally built in the 1880s to house the workers employed at the Eveleigh Railway Workshops. In 1973 the land was purchased for Aboriginal housing. The struggle to gain ownership and control of the Block by the Aboriginal community was a major part of the movement of Aboriginal people towards self determination. Aboriginal control of Aboriginal Affairs was the major theme and it was for the Aboriginal residents of the Block that many of the first Aboriginal controlled services in Australia were developed.

Over the last 20-30 years, as direct government controls over Aboriginal people have been scaled back, distinct 'types' of housing used by Aboriginal communities are less easily described. Exceptions include Mutawintji in Western NSW where the Aboriginal employment scheme workers are currently building housing featuring specific living facilities for Aboriginal people, such as large communal living areas.

There is no such thing as a typical 'Aboriginal house' in NSW. Rather, Aboriginal peoples used different types of housing in different regions at different periods in the past. Identifying the surviving houses lived in by Aboriginal peoples can help us to understand Aboriginal and general history. Such houses or their sites need to be identified in heritage studies and surveys and assessed for their significance. In doing so, it is important to remember the need for culturally appropriate consultation with communities, and the critical role of oral history in locating and understanding such potential heritage places.

While there have recently been significant improvements in the poor living conditions experienced by many Aboriginal people in NSW, it has been acknowledged at both state and national levels that reform is essential to ensure that Aboriginal people in both rural and urban areas are able to access safe, healthy, affordable and secure housing.

Extensive consultation with Aboriginal people in NSW revealed their vision for one agency with responsibility to plan and deliver Aboriginal housing and housing-related infrastructure, to improve co-ordination, overcome duplication and maximise housing outcomes for Aboriginal people.

This vision culminated in the enactment of the NSW Aboriginal Housing Act 1998 which established the Aboriginal Housing Office as a statutory authority responsible to the NSW Minister for Housing. It is responsible for developing, managing delivery of, and evaluating housing assistance programs for Aboriginal people in NSW. The AHO is governed by an all Aboriginal Board. If I wan (Which I won't Sad ) can I have a red V flag
    elise__23
    elise__23

Post by elise__23 Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:19 am

i did these Smile

Houses Around the World Jkh98g
    mimorulz
    mimorulz

Post by mimorulz Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:29 am

Houses Around the World 24goikn
    If I win can I have the red V-flag? Very Happy Good luck to all the contestents!Very Happy
    elise__23
    elise__23

Post by elise__23 Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:29 am

Smile
    Houses Around the World 2emk7f6
    mousyblack
    mousyblack

Post by mousyblack Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:35 am

Houses Around the World Treehouse

Last edited by mousyblack on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    elise__23
    elise__23

Post by elise__23 Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:37 am

Smile
    Houses Around the World Wvuycx

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:03 pm