Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Earth Research - African Swamp Animals

Christy12211
    Christy12211

Earth Research - African Swamp Animals Empty Earth Research - African Swamp Animals

Post by Christy12211 Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 am

Alligator snapping turtles are different from the small, smooth-shelled green turtles you might be familiar with. First, their size. Alligator snappers are the largest freshwater turtles in North America and one of the largest in the world. The largest Alligator Snapping Turtle known weighed 219 pounds! In addition to the size difference, their appearance is unique in the turtle world.

The shell of an alligator snapping turtle has a series of large ridges, similar to those seen on alligators—hence the name. Because of the ridges, the alligator snapper looks more like a large rock than a turtle. Compared to other turtles, a snapper's shell looks like it's a size or two too small. Sometimes the shell and head are overgrown with algae, which adds to the snapping turtles' camoflaush.

A startling feature of alligator snapping turtles is their head. It's huge like the snappers' body size. Covered in ridges, the head looks like it should be on a much larger reptile. Their eyes are small, located on the side of the head. They have a hooked beak that looks like a bird of prey's beak, only much more massive. The beak is sharp, strong, and able to break a big stick—or a finger easily. Inside alligator snapping turtles' mouth is their most amazing feature...

Alligator snapping turtles are sit-and-wait predators. They lie completely motionless on the muddy bottom of a river or lake, mouths open. Usually they face the current so they can get fish swimming downstream. A tiny pink bit of flesh that looks alot like a wiggling worm, sticks out from their tongue. They wave this lure back and forth. In the muddy water, the lure looks like a tasty treat to a passing fish. But it's a trap, and the unlucky fish finds out where the "snapping" part of the turtles’ name comes from.

THE END

i hope i win, i worked really hard on this, my dad said i did a good job LOL, i do reports like this all the time in school, so im kinda used to it lol, if i Christy12211 win, i would like to have a v-flag please, i would really appreciate it if i win, thank you for reading my submission p.s. My Chobots name is Christy12211

[/b] lol!
    Williamm
    Williamm
    Regular
    Regular

Earth Research - African Swamp Animals Empty Re: Earth Research - African Swamp Animals

Post by Williamm Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:01 pm

When I was little I thought they where in the local swimming pool. Rolling Eyes

Lol tut, tut.
    Puffles
    Puffles
    Agent
    Agent

Earth Research - African Swamp Animals Empty Re: Earth Research - African Swamp Animals

Post by Puffles Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:36 pm

Please never try to pick up a snapping turtle.
    Betatester1
    Betatester1
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Betatester1 Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:08 pm

Never pick on up they will cnap your fingers off or even kids hands No i know i live near the swampy river area

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:52 pm