The Famous Lakes!

Hikikomori
    Hikikomori

The Famous Lakes! Empty The Famous Lakes!

Post by Hikikomori on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Hello chobots!

Tell us about the most famous lakes you know Smile
    Your research must be short but interesting!
    The winner gets a V-Flag Smile
    Good luck!
    And don't forget about the drawings Smile
    We'll prefer answers with your drawings Wink

Last edited by Hikikomori on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    floppyj10
    floppyj10
    Regular
    Regular

The Famous Lakes! Empty Re: The Famous Lakes!

Post by floppyj10 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Ok Hiki! (also, what drawings?)

Lake Michigan-Huron:

It is the largest of the Great Lakes and it is the largest freshwater lake in the world. Lake Michigan-Huron is the fourth largest lake by volume in the world.

-Floppyj10
    Bart1879
    Bart1879

Post by Bart1879 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:39 pm

The River Nile:
    The river Nile is the largest lake in the world it flows through Uganda,Sudan and Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea.The length of the river is 5584 km (3470 mileS).
    (A pic is below)

http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/6566/Egypt.A2004201.0830.1km.jpg

I hope i win!
    ~Bart1879~
    Ryan246
    Ryan246

Post by Ryan246 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Lake Michigan-Huron Is s the largest lake by surface area. It also has the longest lake coastline in the world. If Huron and Michigan are considered two lakes, Lake Superior is the largest lake. However, Huron is still has the longest coastline at 6,157 km. The world's smallest geological ocean, the Caspian Sea, at 394,299 km² has a surface area greater than the six largest freshwater lakes combined, and it frequently cited as the world's largest lake.

I did a bit of a research on it using google.
    My Chobots name is Ryan246.
    Belugaboy
    Belugaboy
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Belugaboy on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm

For this contest, I researched Crater Lake National Park, in Oregon! I will visit there for a week this summer, Im really excited Very Happy
    Crater Lake is a fantastic place! It is one of the deepest lakes and the water is some of the purest in the world!

Ok, here some more facts:
    The lake fills a nearly 1,958 foot deep caldera that was formed around by the collapse of the volcano Mount Mazama!

While having no indigenous fish population, the lake was stocked from 1888 to 1941 with a variety of fish.
    Several species have formed self sustaining populations. Smile

The Oregon State Quarter, which was released by the United States Mint in 2005, features an image of Crater Lake on its reverse side!

Also, Crater Lake is known for the "Old Man of the Lake," a tree that has been bobbing vertically in the lake for more than a century. Due to the cold water of the lake, the tree has been rather well preserved.

However, on the basis of comparing average depths among the world's deepest lakes, Crater Lake becomes the deepest lake in the Western Hemisphere and the third deepest in the world.

The caldera rim of Crater Lake ranges in elevation from 7,000 to 8,000 feet.

This is some of the information that I found out about this awesome lake! Smile
    I drew it in art class at school once, I will try to post the picture soon Smile
    I hope that this is good enough -Beluga Smile

Edit: Heres the picture Smile
    The Famous Lakes! Pbucket

Last edited by Belugaboy on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
    rickyglam
    Regular
    Regular

Post by rickyglam on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Utah has a famous fish lake it is the most beautiful mountain lake and it is like 6 mile long and 1 mile wide the clean water make it easy to fish there.
    The Famous Lakes! Lake10
    bube077
    bube077

Post by bube077 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Lake Michigan-Huron is the largest lake by surface area: 117,350 km². It also has the longest lake coastline in the world: 8,790 km. If Huron and Michigan are considered two lakes, Lake Superior is the largest lake, with 82,414 km². However, Huron is still has the longest coastline at 6,157 km (2980 km excluding the coastlines of its many inner islands). The world's smallest geological ocean, the Caspian Sea, at 394,299 km² has a surface area greater than the six largest freshwater lakes combined, and it frequently cited as the world's largest lake.
    The deepest lake is Lake Baikal in Siberia, with a bottom at 1,637 m. Its mean depth is also the greatest in the world (749 m)
    It is also the world's largest lake by volume (23,600 km³, though smaller than the Caspian Sea at 78,200 km³), and the second longest (about 630 km from tip to tip).
    The longest freshwater lake is Lake Tanganyika, with a length of about 660 km (measured along the lake's center line).
    It is also the second deepest in the world (1,470 m) after lake Baikal.
    The world's oldest lake is Lake Baikal, followed by Lake Tanganyika (Tanzania).
    The world's highest lake is the crater lake of Ojos del Salado, at 6,390 metres (20,965 ft).[9] The Lhagba Pool in Tibet at 6,368 m (20,892 ft) comes second.[10]
    The world's highest commercially navigable lake is Lake Titicaca in Peru and Bolivia at 3,812 m (12,507 ft). It is also the largest freshwater (and second largest overall) lake in South America.
    The world's lowest lake is the Dead Sea, bordering Israel, Jordan at 418 m (1,371 ft) below sea level. It is also one of the lakes with highest salt concentration.
    Lake Huron has the longest lake coastline in the world: about 2980 km, excluding the coastline of its many inner islands.
    The largest island in a freshwater lake is Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron, with a surface area of 2,766 km². Lake Manitou, located on Manitoulin Island, is the largest lake on an island in a freshwater lake.
    The largest lake located on an island is Nettilling Lake on Baffin Island.
    The largest lake in the world that drains naturally in two directions is Wollaston Lake.
    Lake Toba on the island of Sumatra is located in what is probably the largest resurgent caldera on Earth.
    The largest lake located completely within the boundaries of a single city is Lake Wanapitei in the city of Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.
    Before the current city boundaries came into effect in 2001, this status was held by Lake Ramsey, also in Sudbury.
    Lake Enriquillo in Dominican Republic is the only saltwater lake in the world inhabited by crocodiles
    Mimja
    Mimja

The Famous Lakes! Empty ALL MY INFORMATION ON A DIFFERENT PAGE

Post by Mimja on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:42 pm

ALL MY INFORMATION IS ON THE INVENTIONS THAT INFLUENCED HISTORY PAGE
    patobranco1
    patobranco1

Post by patobranco1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Lake Titicaca is the highest commercially navigable lake in the world, at 3,812 m (12,507 feet) above sea level. It is also South America's largest freshwater lake, with a surface area of approximately 8372 square kilometers.

Located in the Altiplano high in the Andes on the border of Peru and Bolivia, at 16°S 69°W, Titicaca has an average depth of between 107 m, and a maximum depth of 281 m. The western part of the lake belongs to the Puno Region of Peru, and the eastern side is located in the Bolivian La Paz Department.
    It's famous because the name is so funny nobody ever forgets it!! cheers jocolor

The Famous Lakes! Lake_t11

Last edited by patobranco1 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    aqua144
    aqua144
    Regular
    Regular

Post by aqua144 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Hey, I'm doing my research about Lake Erie Very Happy

The Famous Lakes! 3313

Last edited by aqua144 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
    :-ganzy-:
    :-ganzy-:
    Regular
    Regular

Post by :-ganzy-: on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Hello today im making a research about LAKE EYRE
    lake Eyre is the lowest point in at Australia approximately 15 m (49 ft) below sea level wow!! xD and it is the largest lake in Australia It is the focal point of the vast Lake Eyre Basin and it's found some 700 km north of Adelaide.
    they call it lake eyre cuz the lake was named for a guy called edward eyre..[img]The Famous Lakes! 263u2jm[/img]
    zigzag1994
    zigzag1994

Post by zigzag1994 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Hey Guys i looked up info about Lake Enriquillo.
    Is a lake in the Dominican Republic, it is one of only a few saltwater lakes in the world inhabited by crocodiles. Lake Enriquillo is located in a rift valley that extends 79 miles (127 km) from Port-au-Prince Bay in Haiti in the west to near Neiba Bay in the Dominican Republic in the east.
    Bakugon
    Bakugon

Post by Bakugon on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Great Lakes at least partly within Canada:
    Lk. Erie
    Lk. Huron
    Lk. Ontario
    Lk. Superior

Other large and/or famous lakes:
    Lk. Simcoe
    Shuswap Lake
    Lk. Okanagan
    Mackenzie Lake
    Lk. Nipigon
    Lk. Louise
    Lk. Winnipeg
    Lake of the Woods
    Great Slave Lake
    Lk. Sinclair

still don't know how to post pics
    Kool_Man
    Kool_Man
    Author
    Author

Post by Kool_Man on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:27 pm

Lake Baikal (Russian: о́зеро Байка́л Ozero Baykal, pronounced [ˈozʲɪrə bʌjˈkɑl], Buryat: Байгал нуур Baygal nuur, meaning "the rich lake"[3]) is in southern Siberia in Russia, located between Irkutsk Oblast to the northwest and the Buryat Republic to the southeast, near the city of Irkutsk. It is also known as the "Blue Eye of Siberia". It contains more water than all of the North American Great Lakes combined.[4][5]
    At 1,642 meters (5,390 ft) (Baikal central part 53°14′59″N, 108°05′11″E)[1], Lake Baikal is the deepest lake in the world,[6] and the largest freshwater lake in the world by volume.[7] However, Lake Baikal contains less than one third the amount of water as the Caspian Sea[citation needed], which is the largest lake in the world. Like Lake Tanganyika, Lake Baikal was formed as an ancient rift valley, having the typical long crescent shape with a surface area of (31,722 km2/12,248 sq mi), less than that of Lake Superior or Lake Victoria. Baikal is home to more than 1,700 species of plants and animals, two thirds of which can be found nowhere else in the world[8] and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.[9] At more than 25 million years old, it is the oldest lake in the world.[7]
    A Russian mini-submarine attempting to set a record for the deepest freshwater dive on July 29, 2008, was originally reported as being successful, but a correction later emerged that reported the MIR I[clarification needed] failed to do so, reaching a depth of only 1,580 meters (5,200 ft).[10]

The Caspian Sea is the largest enclosed body of water on Earth by area, variously classed as the world's largest lake or a full-fledged sea.[2][3] It has a surface area of 371,000 square kilometers (143,244 sq mi) and a volume of 78,200 cubic kilometers (18,761 cu mi).[4] It is an endorheic basin (it has no outflows), and is bound by northern Iran, southern Russia, western Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, and eastern Azerbaijan. It has a maximum depth of about 1025 meters (3,363 ft).
    It was perceived as an ocean by its ancient coastal inhabitants, presumably because of its saltiness and seeming boundlessness. It has a salinity of approximately 1.2%, about a third the salinity of most seawater. According to Strabo, it is named after an ancient people called Caspians[5] or the ancient sanskrit name Kashyapas[6]. Caspian is called Qazvin قزوين or بحر قزوين on ancient maps. In Iran, it is sometimes referred to as Daryâ-ye Mâzandarân or دریای مازندران.

The caspian sea is the largest lake im the world. The Baikal Lake is the deepest in the world.
    The Famous Lakes! 2qns3nd
    The Famous Lakes! 28b8wid
    mondobob
    mondobob

Post by mondobob on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:52 pm

OK, the great lakes were formed when the age age came down south and dug up huge holes in the earth. Then the ice melted and water filled the lakes. you can remeber there names by saying "HOMES" huron, ontario, michigan, erie {not to be confused with eyre, (pronounce "air") australia's lowest piont of -15 m}, superior. I said
    Before, I wrote:{not to be confused with eyre, (pronounce "air") australia's lowest piont of -15 m}
    because, most people pronounce it "eary". I know about Supieror because i was born there and i can say for a fact that it is too cold to swim and too far to seeland across. These lakes are mostly in USA but partly in canada.
    Pics: here is one of my fav...The Famous Lakes! Axgztu You cant see across it, kewl!!!! ANd here is my pic on te graf wall, The Famous Lakes! Dfbksl

I swear i did not copy any of the words from a page or post, i wrote this all out from my notes that i took in class and my memmory. thanks and good night {or morning or evning (depends where you live)}
    Nathaniel9909
    Nathaniel9909

Post by Nathaniel9909 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:54 pm

The 5 Major lakes of America-Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario
    Superior:Lake Superior is the deepest and biggest (in mass) lake in the U.S. At it's deepest point, lake superior is 1302 ft. deep.=O wow...
    Michigan:lake michigan is 923 ft (281m) deep,2nd biggest lake in America!
    Huron:It has a maximum depth of 750 feet and an average depth of 195 feet.Which means that this lake is the 3rd largest =D
    Erie:Average depth of 62 ft with a maximum depth of 210 ft.Which means its 4th largest in America!
    Ontario:Ontario is large,but since its below sea level,its 5th largest,its 801 feet deep below sea level!This is why these lakes are called "The 5 Major Lakes of America" I Hope you like the facts! Smile amd these URLs below are the pics I drew Smile

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21ophqf&s=5 ---lake Superior
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2cqxu0n&s=5 ---lake michigan
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=k0qyra&s=5 ---lake Huron
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=use2p&s=5 ---lake Erie
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=8ygy8w&s=5 ---lake Ontario

Last edited by nathaniel9909 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:54 am; edited 3 times in total
    yoshi849
    yoshi849

Post by yoshi849 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:09 pm

The Great Salt lake in Utah is the only salty lake in the U.S. And was discovers by Jim Bridger when he thout he was in the oceon.The graet salt lake is 75 miles length and 28 miles width. It gets its name from the salt it has and its in Salt Lake City.the animal are brine shrimp brine flies and many layers of algae. The Brine Flies population is over 1 billion.
    Seether
    Seether
    Author
    Author

Post by Seether on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 pm

The Caspian sea, Because it's the largest lake on earth. Atleast I Think it's a Lake, That's what some people have been saying. Here is some info,

Caspian Sea (ancient Caspium Mare or Hyrcanium Mare), saltwater lake in southeastern Europe and southwestern Asia is the largest inland body of water in the world. The Caspian Sea is bordered on the west by Azerbaijan and Russia, on the northeast and east by Kazakhstan, on the east by Turkmenistan, and on the south by Iran. It extends about 1210 km (about 750 mi) in a northern and southern direction and about 210 to 436 km (about 130 to 271 mi) in an eastern and western direction. It has an area of 371,000 sq km (143,000 sq mi). The Caspian coastline is irregular, with large gulfs on the east, including Krasnovodsk Gulf and the very shallow Garabogazk Gulf, which acts as an evaporation basin and is the site of a major chemical plant that extracts salts from the deposits.

Omg that's alot of writing. Sad Hope I Win again, hehe. And it's by ukraine! Very Happy

Drawing I did:

The Famous Lakes! Bikk69

Hope you like it!

Last edited by [Seether] on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    zone
    zone

Post by zone on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 pm

the great salt lake is one of the main lakes to export salt. It is located on the west side of the U.s.a. whit the salt from the lake we are able to make many different foods or spice up the nasty food your mom makes Wink

hahahahaha
    zone
    zone

Post by zone on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:57 pm

here is the image to go with it Wink
    The Famous Lakes! Pbucket
    Gmailchatter
    Gmailchatter
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Gmailchatter on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Mine is about Crater Lake

Crater Laker is in Crater Lake, Oregon. It is the most interesting lakes out of the whole world! It is famous for its depht, clarity, and blue color. The lake fills an 4,000 feet crater that was formed about 5,677 B.C. by a collapse of the volcano Mt. Mazama. The lake was first named Deep Blue Lake by a person named John Wesley Hillman. It's name later changed to Lake Majesty, which then was changed to Crater Lake, which is what we know of it today. The rim of crater lake is 7,000 to 8,000 feet. Not only is the lake itself famous, but also it is home to the "Old Man Of the Lake", a tree that has been standing verticly in the lake for more then a century. Crater lake is a great place to visit and camp at. But be careful, there are bears! affraid
    Trust me, i should know about the bears.. my dad and mom almost got attacked by one on there visit to Crater Lake.

Anyway, hope u enjoyed my facts! And i didn't copy belugaboy... we just happen to have the same lake and the same webpage where we found facts i guess. Oh! And here's is a picture of the real lake... and my drawing of the lake.My drawing isn't that good...lol, but at least i tryed!Thx from Gmailchatter! Again, thats Gmailchatter. Didn't catch that? Well these facts have been brought to u by Gmailchatter. Lolz!
    The Famous Lakes! 2h6vaz8

Last edited by Gmailchatter on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    nuwfall9
    nuwfall9

Post by nuwfall9 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 am

the largest lake by surface area: 117,350 km². It also has the longest lake coastline in the world: 8,790 km. If Huron and Michigan are considered two lakes, Lake Superior is the largest lake, with 82,414 km². However, Huron is still has the longest coastline at 6,157 km (2980 km excluding the coastlines of its many inner islands). The world's smallest geological ocean, the Caspian Sea, at 394,299 km² has a surface area greater than the six largest freshwater lakes combined, and it frequently cited as the world's largest lake.

i wish i win my name is nuwfall9
    djvilas
    djvilas

The Famous Lakes! Empty The river Nice

Post by djvilas on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:41 am

Hey i have 3 facts.The first one is: The Nile River is the longest river in the world. Second one: The name Nile comes from the Greek “neilos”, which means valley. Third: The Nile basin is huge and includes parts of Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, Congo (Kinshasa), Kenya. .I am very sorry i couldnt find a picture Sad .Thats all i got my chobots name is djvilas
    Bubu1028
    Bubu1028
    Regular
    Regular

The Famous Lakes! Empty Lake titicaca

Post by Bubu1028 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:46 am

Lake Titicaca. Very Happy study
    Lake Titicaca is the highest commercially navigable lake in the world [1], at 3,812 m (12,507 feet) above sea level. It is also South America's largest freshwater lake, with a surface area of approximately 8372 square kilometers[2].
    [img]The Famous Lakes! Th_seaaaaaa[/img]
    Located in the Altiplano high in the Andes on the border of Peru and Bolivia, at 16°S 69°W, Titicaca has an average depth of between 107 m[3], and a maximum depth of 281 m. The western part of the lake belongs to the Puno Region of Peru, and the eastern side is located in the Bolivian La Paz Department.
    FallenStar
    FallenStar

Post by FallenStar on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 am

Ok mine is about Lake Nyos.With the rich mineral content of their water,crater lakes can assume various colorful shades.But ask people at Lake Nyos and they will tell you that a crater lake can be a carrier of death and dark poisonous clouds.

And heres a picture drawn by me:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/fallendragon/images/detail/#132/lakenyos.png

Hope i win.My Chobot's name is FallenStar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:13 am