Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Lowest point on the Earth

Betatester

Lowest point on the Earth Empty Lowest point on the Earth

Post by Betatester Sun May 31, 2009 5:23 am

The lowest point on the Earth is the Dead Sea in the Middle East. The Dead Sea is 1300 ft (400 meters) below sea level. I wouldn't want to be trapped down there by myself! Very Happy

Betatester
    ashley_cool_girl
    ashley_cool_girl

Lowest point on the Earth Empty Re: Lowest point on the Earth

Post by ashley_cool_girl Sun May 31, 2009 6:05 am

LOWEST POINT ON EARTH
    The lowest point on land is the Dead Sea that borders Israel, the West Bank and Jordan. It’s 420 meters below sea level.

The Dead Sea sits on top of the Dead Sea Rift, a tectonic fault line between the Arabian and the African plates. The movement of these plates causes the Dead Sea to sink about one meter per year! The Dead Sea used to be connected to the Mediterranean Ocean, but over a geologic time scale, it became cut off and evaporation concentrated the salt in the water so that today, the Dead Sea is 30 to 31 percent mineral salts. It has the highest level of salinity of any body of water in the world. Just a side note, I’ve had a chance to swim in the dead sea, and it’s one of the strangest experiences I’ve ever had.

The lowest point on land in the Western Hemisphere is Death Valley in California at 86 meters below sea level.

The lowest point on the Earth’s crust is the Mariana’s Trench in the North Pacific Ocean. It is 11 kilometers deep. Like many of Earth’s extremes, the Mariana’s Trench is caused by the Pacific tectonic plate subducting beneath the Philippine plate; this means that the Pacific Plate is sliding underneath the Philippine plate. The point where the Philippine plate overlaps is Mariana’s Trench.

Lowest point on the Earth Dead_sea_sunset
    dead sea, omg!!! Smile
    Lowest point on the Earth Dead-sea-7
    cool!!! king queen
    Lowest point on the Earth DeadSea3667
    afro afro afro
    Lowest point on the Earth Dead%20Sea_s
    Puffles
    Puffles
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Puffles Sun May 31, 2009 11:50 am

The Dead Sea looks like a beatiful place. The salt reminds me of snow. Thanks for showing the pictures.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 am