Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+45
famouschobots
Bellossome
jamesbot
ellahello
clubpenguin_fan
Iva265ch
Love_citizen_ freeship
AgentParis006
Agent-Yellowhouse
crazyha99
chobotreeter
Agent_Artic288
karina.m
faisal
speed
Chewehh
sightens
Yhanz
Bubu1028
smartdetective
reece57
Darkcartman123
chessie123
Bazelnut3
Jess
Nisse54321
Yolande
jglgs1998
Peacemaker
Plunder
Monkeydudes
Robots01
rachie
muttly
jazz
Scribblenaut
domidor
rizeiki
elise__23
bube077
Plutonio
v_chobot
username123456
Guguzi
Hikikomori
49 posters

History of a Snowman

Hikikomori
    Hikikomori

History of a Snowman Empty History of a Snowman

Post by Hikikomori Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 am

Hey chobots Smile
    We're starting a Xmas earth research Smile
    What do you know about a history of a snowman Question
    Find out and tell us study
    Also draw some cute snowman!
    Winners of the contest get citizenship and something else interesting Smile

Hiki Cool
    Guguzi
    Guguzi
    Agent
    Agent

History of a Snowman Empty Re: History of a Snowman

Post by Guguzi Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:13 am

History of a Snowman C4416958ccd5
    Mr. Snowman has been one of the fondest childhood memories for many of us. Do you want to know more about him: Who made the first snowman? How heavy is a typical snowman? What is he really made of? And lots more!

The First Snowman...
    was probably born in Europe. The snowman building activity dated back at least to the Middle Ages, when records show that Europeans loved to build snowmen along the streets after the first snow.

The Biggest Snowman...
    was created in Bethel, Maine, USA in 2008, was named in honor of Olympia Snowe, a US senator representing Maine. The snowman was 122 ft 1 inch tall.

Snowman is made up of...
    AIR! Snowman is essentially balls of tightly packed snowflakes, and snowflakes contain 20% of water and 80% air.

History of a Snowman A5a9c55e722a

How to Build a Snowman

Building a snowman provides an entertaining, creative way to get some fresh air on a lazy winter day. You'll need a few inches of snow on the ground; wear gloves or mittens.

Step 1 Test to see if you have 'packing snow,' which clumps together easily and isn't too wet. The snow must pack to make a snowman.

Step 2 Shape a handful of snow into a ball. Continue adding more snow and packing the ball until it's too large to hold.

Step 3 Place the ball on the snow in front of you and slowly roll it away from you. As more snow accumulates on the outside of your ball, pack the snow by pressing on it with your gloved hands.

Step 4 Roll and pack the ball over and over until it is the size you want for the bottom of the snowman's body.

Step 5 Repeat for the midsection and head. The bottom should be the biggest ball, and the top should be the smallest.

Step 6 Pack some extra snow between the layers to make them stick together. Place sticks down the center where the sections meet if your snowman is having trouble standing erect.

Step 7 Give the snowman a face. Use coal, rocks, buttons or anything dark and round for the eyes. A horizontal stick or twig will make a good mouth, and a carrot is fine for the pointy nose. If you don't have a carrot, a banana or a candy cane will do the job.

Step 8 Cover the top of his head with an old plant for hair, or give him a knit hat to wear. Top hats will blow away unless secured.

Step 9 Add arms, legs and other accessories. Push sticks into the sides of the middle section and hang old mittens on the ends, then place boots at the bottom for legs. Also consider adding items such as a shirt, a scarf or sunglasses

History of a Snowman C310

New

History of a Snowman 110

It's very nice to make snowman with your family! I have made snowman once with my neighbors and twin.... it was 4 years ago... (I m not old now Smile) but i was little then)
    Very Happy That was so funny! it was hard to put second snowball Very Happy Snowball was so heavy Very Happy I think our snowman was awesome! Very Happy unfortunately i don't have picture of my first snowman Very Happy if I made one I'll show you guys Very Happy cheers Hehee! I love snow!!!! I love winter!!! I love ski!!! (i born on february Razz )

Guys it's really pleasant to make snowman Very Happy Im gonna try it again this year Very Happy

cheers

History of a Snowman 24603f3c0733

Last edited by Guguzi on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:35 am; edited 6 times in total
    username123456
    username123456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by username123456 Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:41 am

History

The first spring snowman burning was held in March 1971 by the Unicorn Hunters, a former campus club. Traditionally it has been held on the first day of spring to bid good-bye to winter and welcome spring.

The burning takes its inspiration from the Rose Sunday Festival in Weinheim-an-der-Bergstrasse, Germany. In the festival, a parade passes through town to a central location, where the mayor makes a proposal to the town's children. If the children are good, study, obey their parents and work hard, he will order the (straw) snowman to be burned, and spring will officially arrive. After the children yell their approval and make their promise, the snowman is burned.

Some people hold that rising smoke rising from the fire is supposed to ward off blizzards and usher in spring-like weather. The Unicorn Hunters capitalized on this theory during the second or third year of the event. At that time, after the snowman was burned, a blizzard passed through the eastern Upper Peninsula and northern Lower Peninsula but missed Sault Ste. Marie.

Snowmen

LSSU's snowman has taken on many shapes over the years. During the 1970s, when women's liberation was a news issue, a "snow person" was burned. In the 1980s, when clones and "cloning" were first in the news, a "snow clone" was torched. The Unicorn Hunters also burned a Snow Ayatollah Khomeni during the Iran hostage crisis. In the late 1980s, the snowmen began to take the form of a Lake State rival hockey team, usually whichever team the Lakers were playing that weekend. This was dropped after a few years when many complained that it brought bad luck to the team.

Snowmen are made out of wood, paper destined for the recycling bin, along with some straw, wire and some paint. They are usually husky and stand 10 to 12 feet tall.

Past Event Festivities

Poetry is usually a cornerstone event at snowman burnings, but participation varies every year. Students, faculty, staff, retirees, townspeople and elementary school children have all written poems for the snowman burning. Usually, the master of ceremonies welcomes the crowd and gives a history of the activity. Then, the poems, if there are any, are read while the snowman burns.

Several years ago, LSSU's public relations office turned the poetry reading into a contest. A month or so before the first day of spring, an elementary class or two was singled out and asked to write poems for the snowman burning. The students were eager to participate. They submitted poems a week or two before the event, and they were judged. The top three were read by the emcee at the ceremony. Prizes were awarded. Poets or would-be poets were given the chance to read their own works or have the emcee read them.

From introduction to conclusion, the ceremony lasts approximately 15 minutes.

Year Without Snowman Burning

The University never knew just how many people enjoyed and followed snowman burning until the event was cancelled in 1992 due to environmental concerns. A student group, the Environmental Awareness Club, protested that many toxins are released into the atmosphere when a snowman burns. While this may be true, the University pointed out that its students and staff put many more contaminants in the air just by driving to school on any given day.

The Environmental Awareness Club’s concerns were brought to light the day before the event was to occur, and the PR office abruptly canceled that year's burning, saying that the event is supposed to be light-hearted and fun, and they didn't want it to take on a negative tone. The PR Office suggested that employees and students leave their cars at home and walk to campus on that day to offset any environmental damage the burning snowman may have caused over the years.

On the day of the cancelled event, reporters called as expected, but so did many local residents, business people and city politicians, who were furious. It was the topic of conversation for weeks (and it still comes up!) and many students and radio personalities vowed to continued the 22-year tradition. A North Dakota radio station put organizers of the snowman burning on the air live during a call-in show. Every listener who called said he/she would vote to continue the tradition.

Radio, TV and newspaper reporters turned out on the day of the event to interview students on campus. Students gathered where the event was supposed to have occurred. They read poetry, passed out daffodils and called for the snowman to be burned.

Needless to say, the tradition was resumed the following year.ok heres mine what i made History of a Snowman Lo10
    v_chobot
    v_chobot

History of a Snowman Empty snowman

Post by v_chobot Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:13 am

The Snowman is the tale of a boy who builds a snowman one winter's day. That night, at the stroke of twelve, the snowman comes to life. The first part of the story deals with the snowman's attempts to understand the appliances, toys and other bric-a-brac in the boy's house, all while keeping quiet enough not to wake the boy's parents. The two then venture back outside and go for a ride on a motorcycle, disturbing many animals: pheasants, rabbits, a barn owl, a fox and a brown horse.

In the second part of the story, the boy and the snowman take flight — the song "Walking in the Air" appears at this point. They fly over the boy's town, over houses and large public buildings before flying past the Royal Pavilion in Brighton and a pier and then out into the ocean. They continue north past many sights and animals. Flying into the aurora borealis they reach their destination.

The two wander hand-in-hand into a snow-covered forest and attend a snowmen's party, at which the boy is the only human. They meet Father Christmas and his reindeer, and the boy is given a scarf with a snowman pattern.

The story ends after the return journey. However, the sun has come out the next morning and the boy wakes up to find the snowman has melted. The viewer begins to wonder if the night's events were all a dream, but the boy discovers that he still has the scarf given to him by Father Christmas.

hope i win
    Plutonio
    Plutonio

Post by Plutonio Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:40 am

History of Snowman

A snowman is an anthropomorphic snow sculpture of a human.

It's a well-documented fact that very first snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a Mr. Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul. According to Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves. (Popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents.) Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make (and no doubt, how effective it was at keeping the Boxing Day elves away), children all over the town were making snowmen. Word soon spread and the New York Times dispatched a writer named Hillary Sherpa to check out rumors of a town poulated by snow men. Of course, she found that Eau Clairre was not really populated by snow people, but instead, effigies of people, made of snow, "seemed to virtually populate every corner of the town.

History of a Snowman Ofzebt
    Biggest Snowman: The record for the world's largest snowman was set in 2008 in Bethel, Maine. The snow-woman stood 122 feet 1 inch (37.21 m) in height.
    History of a Snowman 23rn9tf

History of a Snowman I3dwu1

I paint using MS paint and drawing in real life!
    ~Plutonio

Last edited by Plutonio on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:42 pm; edited 5 times in total
    bube077
    bube077

Post by bube077 Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 am

Packing snow is formed when regular powder snow comes near its melting point and becomes moist and compactible. This allows for the construction of large balls of snow by simply rolling a ball of snow until it grows the desired size. Attempting to make a snowman out of powdered snow is extremely difficult since it will not stick to itself. And if packing snow is not rolled into snowballs before it freezes, it will form an unusable denser form of powdered snow called crust. In Europe and North America, most snowmen are usually built with 3 spheres which contain the head,torso, and lower body. Thus the best time to build a snowman is usually in the next warmest afternoon directly following a snowfall with a sufficient amount of snow.
    The common trend is to then dress the snowman, usually with rocks, coal, wood sticks, and vegetables. Carrots or cherries are often used for the nose, as are sticks for arms and stones for eyes (traditionally lumps of coal). Some like to dress their snowmen in clothing (scarves, jackets, hats). However, some may prefer not to risk leaving supplies out doors where they could easily be stolen if someone were so maliciously inclined. Also, snowmen usually melt quite quickly on a hot day, which could cause clothing to become stuck under melting ice if not removed promptly. There are variations to these standard forms. These other types range from snow columns to elaborate snow sculptures

Here is my snowman picture :
    History of a Snowman 2zedlsn
    Username sure il visit Smile
    And if u want guyz register on My and Guguzis Chobots Forum!!
    [url=chobotsforum.tk]chobotsforum.tk[/url]
    And if u want follow my blog Smile
    [url=bube07.tk]bube07.tk[/url]
    Hope i win Razz
    Bube07
    elise__23
    elise__23

Post by elise__23 Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:41 am

this is what i did Smile

History of a Snowman 11tooj9

hope you like Smile
    rizeiki
    rizeiki

History of a Snowman Empty "The history of a snowman"

Post by rizeiki Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:55 am

"The History of a snowman"

The snowman is one of the world's most popular and recognizable icons excluding religious figures. For the first time one of man's oldest forms of folk art has been examined and gets his due. Unfortunately, my findings are not here but this is a taste of the complex and layered history which does exist. My quest, my personal Holy Grail, was to find out who made the first snowman. I devoted six years, traveling around the world, researching the top libraries, institutes and museums and working with historians and cultural experts and come out a snowman expert. I put my intensive findings in a non-fiction, adult book called The History of the Snowman; From the Ice Age to the Flea Market, which is filled with the rarest photos and illustrations as well as the world's funniest snowmen cartoons.

Here is my snowman picture:
    https://2img.net/h/oi48.tinypic.com/6oq2yw.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/oi49.tinypic.com/30rs1aw.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/oi45.tinypic.com/330w6eb.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/oi45.tinypic.com/14dcyug.jpg

I just use paint Very Happy
    I just made four Very Happy
    I hope i will win

~~Rizeiki~~

Last edited by rizeiki on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    username123456
    username123456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by username123456 Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:22 am

hello hiki;)

Last edited by username123456 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
    domidor
    domidor

Post by domidor Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:26 am

Helo guys Smile

An ancient art form
    “Snowman making is one of man's oldest folk arts,” says Bob Eckstein, author of The History of the Snowman, From the Ice Age to the Flea Market. The art is one of the few activities that modern man shares with his earliest ancestors. “Man has always wanted to depict an image of himself. It's a natural instinct,” says Eckstein, 45, a New York cartoonist and writer who devoted six years to documenting the snowman's history and enduring popularity, a journey through the silly and the sublime as he visited art museums and libraries around the world, and interviewed authorities on art, philosophy, medieval customs and religion. The earliest snowman illustration Eckstein found is in a religious manuscript, Book of Hours, written about 1380 and preserved at the Royal Library in The Hague, Netherlands. Snow sculpting was popular entertainment during the Middle Ages and a way for artists to display their talents at winter festivals. Even Michelangelo sculpted snow figures in 1494 in Florence, Italy, and during an event that became known as “The Miracle of 1511” in Brussels, Belgium, artists and nonartists alike populated the city with 110 snow people in scenes with social and political meaning. America had its own snow “miracle” on New Year's Day in 1857, when residents of Brattleboro, Vt. (pop. 12,005), awoke to find an 8-foot-tall exquisitely sculpted snowwoman holding a pen and tablet as if recording the year's events. Townspeople credited the statue to an angel, and newspapers publicized the miracle. Eventually, sculptor Larkin Mead took credit for his snow angel.

History of a Snowman 2h4xl3r

Melting hearts
    The image of the snowman has changed through the centuries. The modern-day snowman resembles the plump button-nosed and coal-eyed Frosty, who debuted in 1949. The familiar icon is such a well-liked character that hundreds of companies have used his image to sell everything from electric razors to life insurance. “The snowman is a frozen Forrest Gump with this friendly look that the common man can relate to,” Eckstein says. Ken Borton, of Gaylord, Mich. (pop. 3,681), discovered just how snowman-crazy people are after he staked a wooden one in his yard in front of his webcam in 2006. Borton, 50, wanted his urban friends and family to see the bears, deer and turkeys that wander his 175 acres. “It was kind of boring without wildlife, so I decided to stick something in the scene,” Borton says. The snowman was ideal since his wife, Sheryl, collects snowman figurines. Today, more than 2,000 people a day visit his website, www.snowmancam.com and about 20 people a week drop by in person to see the snowman. In 2007, a couple from Scotland flew into the Detroit airport, rented a car and drove four hours in a snowstorm to pose with the wooden celebrity. “This is a piece of playwood in my backyard that has gained worldwide recognition and love,” Borton says. “I don't get it, but I'm having fun.”

Let it snow!
    Just as in the Middle Ages, snowman building remains a welcome diversion in northern climes during the bleak winter months. When the snow flies in Brielle, NJ (pop 4,893), residents celebrate the season by building snowmen garbed as cowboys, football players and firefighters throughout town for an annual snowman contest. Participants submit photos of their creations by March 15 for a chance to win a snow cone machine. Meanwhile, residents in Salem, Ill. (pop. 7,909), have until March 20 to submit photos of their snowmen built in the city's Bryan Memorial Park, where all can enjoy. Colossal winter fun is what residents of Bethel, Maine (pop. 2,411), had in mind when they created the world's biggest snowman with 8 million pounds of snow in 1999. Residents topped their own record last February with a 13-million-pound snow beauty, Olympia, who towered 122 feet, 1 inch, and could be seen from four miles away. The glamour girl sported eyelashes made from snow skis and ruby lips from painted automobile tires. Schoolchildren fashioned her 6-foot carrot nose from chicken wire and muslin, and stitched a 48-foot-circumference fleece hat to adorn her gigantic head. “A lot of people like to hibernate in the wintertime and don't like cold, but this is a push back against nature and people saying, 'I can go out in the cold and have fun,'” says Robin Zinchuk, executive director of the Bethel Area Chamber of Commerce. Mammoth or mini, the snowman's appeal is timeless. “The snowman is a simple portrait of our humanity,” Eckstein says.

~~Domidor Very Happy
    Scribblenaut
    Scribblenaut
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Scribblenaut Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:10 am

We all know Frosty the Snowman and Jack Frost, but... Where did the idea of snowmen come from?
    It began in Eau Claire, Wisconsin 1809.
    Vernon N. paul and his daughter made the first snowman, saying that it was to scare away the Boxing Day Elves(Boxing day Elves is another legend...).
    The Paul's neighbors came over and saw the snowman, and little Yetty, Mr. Vernon's daughter, taught them how to make it.
    And then every kid in the neighborhood was making snowmen, and the news started to spread.
    The trend caught on, and spread nationwide at the eve of the Civil war.
    So when your making your little snowman, thank Mr. Vernon Paul, and his 9 year old daughter, Yetty!
    ~Spalko~History of a Snowman Vfgo4g
    Fun Fact:
    Tallest Snowman: Name, olympia-measured 122 ft. tall, and she was built one month Smile

Last edited by Scribblenaut on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total
    jazz
    jazz

Post by jazz Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 am

the first snow man was made out of rocks when the big bang came and it was made of rocks and was called a rock man now known as snow man. [img]History of a Snowman Fiorst11[/img]
    cheers now when it snows (well it dosent here in the uk) everyone makes snowmen and we all ahve fun
    Note my chobot name is mimorox2 not jazz
    muttly
    muttly
    Team Leader
    Team Leader

Post by muttly Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am

Packing snow is formed when regular powder snow comes near its melting point and becomes moist and compactible. This allows for the construction of large balls of snow by simply rolling a ball of snow until it grows the desired size. Attempting to make a snowman out of powdered snow is extremely difficult since it will not stick to itself. And if packing snow is not rolled into snowballs before it freezes, it will form an unusable denser form of powdered snow called crust. In Europe and North America, most snowmen are usually built with 3 spheres which contain the head,torso, and lower body. Thus the best time to build a snowman is usually in the next warmest afternoon directly following a snowfall with a sufficient amount of snow.

The common trend is to then dress the snowman, usually with rocks, coal, wood sticks, and vegetables. Carrots or cherries are often used for the nose, as are sticks for arms and stones for eyes (traditionally lumps of coal). Some like to dress their snowmen in clothing (scarves, jackets, hats). However, some may prefer not to risk leaving supplies out doors where they could easily be stolen if someone were so maliciously inclined. Also, snowmen usually melt quite quickly on a hot day, which could cause clothing to become stuck under melting ice if not removed promptly. There are variations to these standard forms. These other types range from snow columns to elaborate snow sculptures (similar to ice sculptures).

Snowmen are usually built with two spheres in East Asia. In Japan, they are called Yuki daruma (雪だるま, Yuki daruma?) lit. snow-daruma.

Pcitures of snowmen from internet and chobots:
    History of a Snowman 167sd92
    History of a Snowman Rirf3c

-muttly Like a Star @ heaven
    rachie
    rachie

Post by rachie Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 pm

The snowman's history can be divided by the following eras, each with rich, amazing history;

The Age of Expansion; The Twenty-first Century
    The White Trash Years; 1975-2000
    The Hollywood Years
    The Golden Age of Advertising Since the Early 20th Century
    The Dean Martin Years Drunken
    Snowman Deconstructionism
    The Birth of a Media Star 1870s-1910s
    The Revolution of 1870
    18th Century Snow and Ice Sculpture
    Early American Snowmen, 17th Century
    Snowman Exploration in Late 16th Century
    Belgian Expressionism
    Early Classism in Snow Sculpture
    Italian Snowballs from The 15th Century
    The Ice Age
    Snowman,a roughly human figure made by piling up and shaping snow in winter when it is snowing
    [img]History of a Snowman Snowma11[/img]
    Robots01
    Robots01

Post by Robots01 Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:17 pm

It's a well-documented fact that very first snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a Mr. Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul. According to Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves. (Popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents.) Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make (and no doubt, how effective it was at keeping the Boxing Day elves away), children all over the town were making snowmen. Word soon spread and the New York Times dispatched a writer named Hillary Sherpa to check out rumors of a town poulated by snow men. Of course, she found that Eau Clairre was not really populated by snow people, but instead, effigies of people, made of snow, "seemed to virtually populate every corner of the town." According to the Ms. Sherpa's article, even though the snowmen and snowwomen "had an appearance bordering on abysmal, indeed abominable, even" the trend caught on and soon spread nationwide by the eve of the Civil War. When war broke out in South Carolina in 1861, the Times of London (and a host of other international newspapers and news reporting agencies, including Berlin's leading newspaper, Der Kruller) came to the US to report on the war. The TRime os London actually ws the first international newspaper to pick up a story on the tradition of snowmen, more as a human interst story than anything else. thats mine well heres my picture Very Happy i used paint for this my sis is awsome drawer she taught me a cute one heres the pic i drew this on the computer though https://2img.net/h/i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr196/Bluenoon/Untitled-1.jpg thats the link Smile
    Monkeydudes
    Monkeydudes

Post by Monkeydudes Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:52 pm

My Snowman drawing:
    My Snowman drawing:
    History of a Snowman Qqcx6q
    The truth is still unknown for many people. Where and when was the first Snowman created? What's the tallest snowman ever built? All of these questions and more can be released on this post! So pay attention! Maybe these questions will be on your upcoming Science test! Razz

When was the first Snowman created?:
    The first Snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a man named Vernon N. Paul.

What is height of the world's tallest Snowman?:
    The world's tallest Snowman was 122 feet 1 inch in height. This world record was recorded in 2008 at Bethel, Maine.

When is this friendly creature most recognized?:
    Christmas, of course! It is a tradition for some families to go out on their front yards when it is snowing on Christmas day and make a Snowman!

Who is the most "famous" Snowman?:
    Frosty the Snowman! You may find Frosty in songs, pictures, over the internet, and many more places! He is for sure a jolly good fellow! lol!

To add a little fun to this post, I am giving away some Snowman jokes I found on the internet!

Q: What does a Snowman take when he is sick?
    A: A CHILL pill.

Q: What is a Snowmans favorite drink?
    A: ICED Tea!

Q: What does a Snowman eat for breakfast?
    A: Snow Flakes!

-Monkeydudes
    Plunder
    Plunder

Post by Plunder Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:53 pm

The History Of The Snowman
    The Snowman was made up way way back
    in the Middle Ages,In Wars soldiers
    used it in wars to hide from enemy
    soldiers! Many people used it for
    decoration and tradition.santa

How to Build One
    1.You need to roll up into different sizes,Big,Medium,and Small
    2.Get some accessories,Scarf,A Hat,Some Rocks or Coal for a mouth,
    and yet but not last,some sticks for arms.
    3.Then Show it off to your friends,and remember to do this with a parents OK. santa

The Biggest Snowman Ever!
    The record for the world's largest
    snowman was set in 2008 in Bethel, Maine.
    The Snowman stood 122 feet 1 inch!!!!

Heres my Pictures Smile
    History of a Snowman Snowma10

History of a Snowman 210 Merry Christmas santa santa santa santa santa santa santa

History of a Snowman Snow10

Last edited by Plunder on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : another pic ;))
    Peacemaker
    Peacemaker

History of a Snowman Empty Snowman

Post by Peacemaker Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Frosty The Snowman!
    Frosty the Snowman! Was a Jolly Happy soul! With a corncob pipe and a button nose. And two eyes made out of coal.Frosty the snowman is a fairy tale, they say, He was made of snow but the children Know how he came to life one day. There must have been some magic in that Old silk hat they found. For when they placed it on his head He began to dance around. O, Frosty the snowman Was alive as he could be, And the children say he could laugh And play just the same as you and me. Thumpetty thump thump, Thumpety thump thump, Look at Frosty go. Thumpetty thump thump, Thumpety thump thump, Over the hills of snow. Frosty the snowman knewThe sun was hot that day,So he said, "Let's run and We'll have some fun Now before I melt away." Down to the village, With a broomstick in his hand, Running here and there all Around the square saying, Catch me if you can. He led them down the streets of town Right to the traffic cop. And he only paused a moment when
    He heard him holler "Stop!" For Frosty the snow man Had to hurry on his way, But he waved goodbye saying, "Don't you cry, I'll be back again some day." Thumpetty thump thump, Thumpety thump thump, Look at Frosty go. Thumpetty thump thump, Thumpety thump thump, Over the hills of snow.

Families around the world likes to make snowmen whenever it snows to have a family day! Sometimes children likes to make them with they're friends! Snowmans were first made in Europe back in the middle aged. Now everyone anywhere loves to build snowmans to show off their new skills!Also authors, poets, song writers likes to make fun songs about the playfull snowmans! For example, Frosty the Snowman! Gene Autry, Steve 'Jack' Rollins and Steve Nelson wrote 'Frosty the Snowman' in 1950! Of course as you know! Snowman's are made of natural snow and air and any fun props you would like to use to decorate your new little friend! santa Children also likes to make Snowmans to celebrate Christmas too!

History of a Snowman
    jglgs1998
    jglgs1998

Post by jglgs1998 Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:33 pm

heres my reasearch Packing snow is formed when regular powder snow comes near its melting point and becomes moist and compactible. This allows for the construction of large balls of snow by simply rolling a ball of snow until it grows the desired size. Attempting to make a snowman out of powdered snow is extremely difficult since it will not stick to itself. And if packing snow is not rolled into snowballs before it freezes, it will form an unusable denser form of powdered snow called crust. In Europe and North America, most snowmen are usually built with 3 spheres which contain the head,torso, and lower body. Thus the best time to build a snowman is usually in the next warmest afternoon directly following a snowfall with a sufficient amount of snow.

The common trend is to then dress the snowman, usually with rocks, coal, wood sticks, and vegetables. Carrots or cherries are often used for the nose, as are sticks for arms and stones for eyes (traditionally lumps of coal). Some like to dress their snowmen in clothing (scarves, jackets, hats). However, some may prefer not to risk leaving supplies out doors where they could easily be stolen if someone were so maliciously inclined. Also, snowmen usually melt quite quickly on a hot day, which could cause clothing to become stuck under melting ice if not removed promptly. There are variations to these standard forms.
    History of a Snowman Images%3Fq%3Dsnowman%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D468
    jglgs1998
    jglgs1998

Post by jglgs1998 Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 pm

this is the picture for my reasearch History of a Snowman 2009-111
    Yolande
    Yolande

Post by Yolande Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:08 pm

Awesome...can't wait to see everyone's entries Very Happy
    And OOOH! Something interesting?? Wonder what that is...Smile
    Here is my entry Smile

History of a Snowman Snowman

Enjoy Smile)
    Nisse54321
    Nisse54321

History of a Snowman Empty The snow man

Post by Nisse54321 Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:22 pm

The snowman.

Construction
    Snowmen at Sapporo, Japan Snow Festival

The common trend is to then dress the snowman, usually with rocks, coal, wood sticks, and vegetables. Carrots or cherries are often used for the nose, as are sticks for arms and stones for eyes (traditionally lumps of coal). Some like to dress their snowmen in clothing (scarves, jackets, hats). However, some may prefer not to risk leaving supplies out doors where they could easily be stolen if someone were so maliciously inclined. Also, snowmen usually melt quite quickly on a hot day, which could cause clothing to become stuck under melting ice if not removed promptly. There are variations to these standard forms. These other types range from snow columns to elaborate snow sculptures (similar to ice sculptures).

Snowmen are usually built with two spheres in East Asia. In Japan, they are called Yuki daruma (雪だるま, Yuki daruma?) lit. snow-daruma.
    [edit] In fiction

* Arktos, evil horse in German animated Tabaluga series.
    * Bouli, a French animated series about a snowman's adventures in a magical place.
    * in the game Mother there is a town called snowman.
    * Der Schneemann, a 1943 animated short film created in Germany.
    * Jack Frost (1998 film), a movie with Michael Keaton in which he wakes up as a snowman after a car accident.
    * Jack Frost (1996 film), a horror movie in which a serial killer is transformed into a snowman.
    * Rave Master, a Japanese manga in which Plue, the hero's companion, resembles a small snowman.
    * The Snowman, British picture book (1978) by Raymond Briggs and animation (1982) directed by Dianne Jackson about a boy who builds a snowman that comes alive and takes him to the North Pole.
    * Frosty, the titular snowman in the popular children's song Frosty the Snowman, had a corncob pipe, a button nose, and two eyes made out of coal.
    * Calvin and Hobbes, an American cartoon by Bill Watterson, contains many instances of Calvin building snowmen, many of which are deformed or otherwise abnormal, often used to poke fun at the art world.[1]
    * Steven Millhauser, in one of his things of short stories, called in the penny arcade wrote a short story called snowmen in which children makes snowmen which are more and more elaborated.
    * Snowmen Hunters, an internet oriented comedy series created by Christopher Allan Smith and Ryan Neisz.
    * Snow Bros, an arcade game released in 1990 featuring two snowball-throwing snowmen as the protagonists.
    * Frosty the Snowman, About a snowman that magically comes to life.
    * The abdominal snowman is a snowman which comes to life as a monster that terrorizes citizens.

[edit] World's largest snowman
    The record "Olympia" snow-woman

The record for the world's largest snowman was set in 2008 in Bethel, Maine. The snow-woman stood 122 feet 1 inch (37.21 m) in height, and was named in honor of Olympia Snowe, a U.S. Senator representing Maine, and currently holds the record for tallest snowman ever made.[2]

The previous record was also a snowman built in Bethel, Maine, in February 1999. The snowman was named "Angus, King of the Mountain" in honor of the then current governor of Maine, Angus King. It was 113 feet 7 inches (34.62 m) tall and weighed over 9,000,000 pounds (4,080,000 kg).[3]
    It's a well-documented fact that very first snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a Mr. Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul. According to Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves. (Popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents.) Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make (and no doubt, how effective it was at keeping the Boxing Day elves away), children all over the town were making snowmen. Word soon spread and the New York Times dispatched a writer named Hillary Sherpa to check out rumors of a town poulated by snow men. Of course, she found that Eau Clairre was not really populated by snow people, but instead, effigies of people, made of snow, "seemed to virtually populate every corner of the town." According to the Ms. Sherpa's article, even though the snowmen and snowwomen "had an appearance bordering on abysmal, indeed abominable, even" the trend caught on and soon spread nationwide by the eve of the Civil War. When war broke out in South Carolina in 1861, the Times of London (and a host of other international newspapers and news reporting agencies, including Berlin's leading newspaper, Der Kruller) came to the US to report on the war. The TRime os London actually ws the first international newspaper to pick up a story on the tradition of snowmen, more as a human interst story than anything else. And as they say, "the rest is history."
    My picture:
    History of a Snowman Snowma11

Last edited by Nisse54321 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jess
    Jess

Post by Jess Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:23 pm

History of snowman
    There can be alot of possible answers for this topic because the evidence already melted down! Wink

The snowman appears everywhere on practically everything -- from knickknacks to greeting cards to seasonal sweaters we plan to return. Whenever we see big snowballs our first impulse is to deck them out with a top hat. Humorist and writer Bob Eckstein has long been fascinated by this ubiquitous symbol of wintertime fun -- and finally, for the first time, one of the world's most popular icons gets his due.

A thoroughly entertaining exploration, The History of the Snowman travels back in time to the King of Kitsch, to the Dark Ages, with the creation of the very first snowman. Eckstein's curiosity began playfully enough, but soon snowballed into a earnest quest of chasing Frosty around the world, into museums and libraries, and seeking out the advice of leading historians and scholars. The result is a riveting history that reaches back through centuries and across cultures -- sweeping from fifteenth-century Italian snowballs to eighteenth-century Russian ice sculptures to the regrettable "white-trash years" (1975-2000).

The snowman is not just part of our childhood memories, but is an important part of our world culture.
    History of a Snowman Snowma16
    History of a Snowman Snowma17
    History of a Snowman Snowma19
    History of a Snowman Snowma11
    By _Jess_

Last edited by Jess on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Bazelnut3
    Bazelnut3

History of a Snowman Empty The snowman history! (plus snow,too!)

Post by Bazelnut3 Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:24 pm

I don't have a picture,is it okay? Anyways,the history of snowmans are kinda intresting. The snow is 100% made of water and air. As you can see,you see the snow packed up together.If you want a lot harder snowball,you need to pack it up more.It's sometimes made of raindrops that are about to fall.In the winter,it gets very cold,then you have lots of snow.Theres snowstorms too.Blizzards are powerful.Sometimes snow turns into HAIL! :study:It can melt on a very sunny day Sad Thats all the info i've got! See ya!
    chessie123
    chessie123

Post by chessie123 Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 pm

OK, here it goes!
    History

The very first snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a Mr. Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul. According to Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves. (Popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents.) Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make. Children all over the town were making snowmen. Word soon spread and the New York Times dispatched a writer named Hillary Sherpa to check out rumors of a town poulated by snow men. Of course, she found that Eau Clairre was not really populated by snow people, but instead, effigies of people, made of snow, "seemed to virtually populate every corner of the town." According to the Ms. Sherpa's article, even though the snowmen and snowwomen "had an appearance bordering on abysmal, indeed abominable, even" the trend caught on and soon spread nationwide by the eve of the Civil War. When war broke out in South Carolina in 1861, the Times of London (and a host of other international newspapers and news reporting agencies, including Berlin's leading newspaper, Der Kruller) came to the US to report on the war. The TRime os London actually ws the first international newspaper to pick up a story on the tradition of snowmen, more as a human interst story than anything else.

Here's the picture's link: http://bubu1028chobotstips.blogspot.com/
    It's there because I didn't know how to put it on here

-Chessie123-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm