Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
speed
ashley_cool_girl
6 posters

About GroundHog

ashley_cool_girl
    ashley_cool_girl

About GroundHog Empty About GroundHog

Post by ashley_cool_girl Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:23 am

GroundHog

Groundhogs are also called whistle pigs.

They have four toes on the front foot and five on the back foot. They can grow to a maximum of two feet when measured from head to toe and weigh somewhere around five to fourteen pounds.

Groundhogs have grayish brown fur and tails that are bushy. They generally have two layers of fur so that the outside layer can serve as waterproofing layer and the inside layer can maintain the body heat.

They dig their burrows with the help of their powerful limbs and thick claws. They are quite adept at it. They can remove up to seven hundred pounds of soil to make a twenty to twenty five foot long burrow.

The burrows that Groundhogs make have many chambers and also have more than one entrance, at times even three entrances.

They make a loud whistling sound as an alarm bell to make everybody aware that there is danger around.

These groundhogs are herbivorous and they eat plants like grass, clover and alfalfa. They also eat strawberries, peas, pansies and garden beans.

Groundhogs have several enemies who are predators like foxes, bobcats and human beings.

When it is close to autumn the groundhogs start gaining weight and become fatter.

During hibernation the body temperature of the groundhogs decreases from ninety-nine degree Fahrenheit to forty degree Fahrenheit. Their heartbeat also decreases from eighty beats per minute to five per minute. The breathing is also reduced from twelve to approximately four per minute. They hibernate to save themselves from the cold weather and when they hibernate their whole body metabolism slows down and the body gets cold so that it consumes less energy since it uses the stored body fat.

Groundhogs have amazing sense of hearing very sharp eyesight.

About GroundHog Groundhog300
    speed
    speed
    Team Leader
    Team Leader

About GroundHog Empty Re: About GroundHog

Post by speed Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:37 am

Cool! I never knew there was an animal called the groundhog and now I now know all about them!

Last edited by speed on Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    Guguzi
    Guguzi
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Guguzi Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:13 am

Thanks for topic Smile That's very interesting
    Puffles
    Puffles
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Puffles Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:18 am

We have groundhogs where I live. I see one in my yard from time to time. The whistling pigs are very cute, but incredibly dangerous. Luckily, the groundhog is scared of about everything! So, you are safe from it. Very Happy
    Yhanz
    Yhanz

Post by Yhanz Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 am

lol ur funny puffles! Lolz Smile
    billybubble
    billybubble
    Author
    Author

Post by billybubble Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am

That's really great information! Thanks! =)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am