Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+41
daggron
odd300
sightens
angus600
benosss
swifty
ChoGirl (Chobots.de)
dannyotoy
chobotreeter
Purplerox92
JenniD5
trashawna
Plunder
vintage
Thunder101
Yolande
mousyblack
will
Betatester1
jonnyyyyy88
zildj1
GreenpopperOnChobots
elise__23
mrman1012nd
jellzyeahh111
axceler8t
muttly
Newy82
aqua144
Gypman142
z3hn
kash50905
phan
fusty
Bubu1028
Yhanz
username123456
Guguzi
bigben2
lendso
Hikikomori
45 posters

The Most Famous Bridges!

Hikikomori
    Hikikomori

The Most Famous Bridges! Empty The Most Famous Bridges!

Post by Hikikomori Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:13 am

Hey guys!
    I want you to find out some interesting info about a famous bridges!
    It has to be short but interesting. Also make some good drawings Wink
    The winners get V-Flags and bugs!
    Good luck study

Hiki Smile
    lendso
    lendso

The Most Famous Bridges! Empty Re: The Most Famous Bridges!

Post by lendso Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:45 am

Bridges are not only the superstars of the engineering world, they influence the development of cultures, environments and lives in more ways than we can count. Bridges shape skylines. Imagine San Francisco without the Golden Gate Bridge, or Manhattan without the Brooklyn Bridge. These structures also shape our lives, aiding commerce, social life and urban development.
    this is a list of some famous bridges:

Clifton Suspension Bridge
    Humber Bridge
    Brooklyn Bridge
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Akashi-Kaikyo
    Sydney Harbour Bridge
    Storbaelt
    Le Pont De Normandie
    Tsing Ma

The Most Famous Bridges! Towerbrdg
    lendso
    lendso

Post by lendso Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:48 am

that last one was from
    username: lendso2
    not lendso
    bigben2
    bigben2

Post by bigben2 Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:20 am

The Most Famous Bridges! Untitl11 i took me time coz i dont have a software to do those stuff i hope i win

chobotspedia the chobots enclopedia

Last edited by bigben2 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
    Guguzi
    Guguzi
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Guguzi Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:39 am

A big city starts its developpment on a river(there are a few exceptions). Then the developpment goes separately on the two banks of the river, until everybody sees: we need bridges. It is impossible to imagine Paris without Seineb and the bridges, London without Thames and its bridges. The Golden Gate bridge is more famous in my opinion than the city of San Francisco. Bridges are not only masterpieces of building art and architecture, but also landmarks of cities and their culture.

1. Golden Gate bridge from San Francisco. Build in 1937, this bridge is fascinanting. Most everyone in the world can recognize it.

The Most Famous Bridges! C308536d19b9

2. Sidney Harbor Bridge is a landmark of Sidney and all Australia. It was build in 1932 containing 6 millions of hand driven rivets. It has huge hinges due to the hot Sidney sun. The painted surface is equal to 6 football fields.

The Most Famous Bridges! Af3879755e4a

3. The Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge in Japan conects Kobe on the mainland with Awaji islands and measures 4300 metres, being the world’s longest of its kind. It is wind and earthquake proofed up to 80 m/s and respectively 8,5 degrees on Richter scale.

The Most Famous Bridges! 0daf4ac60aca

4.Tower Bridge of London is so distinctively british, so old, so stylish and no one could think to it in other location than London.

The Most Famous Bridges! 72ad75c98d9e

5. Storbaelt bridge between Funen and Zealand in Denmark has a length of 6800 metres and was build in a spectacular way between 1986 and 1998.

The Most Famous Bridges! F97791bb6658

I hope you like my pics Smile

Last edited by Guguzi on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:07 am; edited 6 times in total
    username123456
    username123456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by username123456 Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:40 am

Bridges are not only the superstars of the engineering world, they influence the development of cultures, environments and lives in more ways than we can count. Bridges shape skylines. Imagine San Francisco without the Golden Gate Bridge, or Manhattan without the Brooklyn Bridge. These structures also shape our lives, aiding commerce, social life and urban developmentFor over 100 years the Clifton Suspension Bridge, spanning the beautiful Avon Gorge, has been as much the symbol of Bristol as the Eiffel Tower of Paris or the Opera House of Sydney. Since its opening in 1864 meticulous maintenance has ensured that the bridge has never closed. It is easy to forget that this structure which was designed in the 1830s, built in the 1860s and intended entirely for horse-drawn traffic, now carries a staggering total of 4 million cars a year.

Today the Clifton Suspension Bridge is looked after by a Trust setup under an Act of Parliament of 1952. The 13 trustees include representatives of local government together with others chosen for their technical or business expertise. The trustees are empowered to collect tolls, although since 1991 pedestrians and cyclists have crossed free of charge. Day to day responsibility for the bridge is in the hands of the Bridge Master who is on call 24 hours a day. He controls a team of 13 tollkeepers and 3 maintenance menThe Humber Bridge is a suspension bridge with the north tower sited on the high water line and the south tower founded in shallow water 500m from the shore.

On the north bank, a hard well-jointed bed of chalk comes close to the surface and is covered by a tough layer of glacially deposited chalky boulder clay. The chalk has provided good foundations for both the anchorage and tower on this bank, on the south side, soft alluvium is underlain by beds of boulder clay, sand and gravel. Below these beds, at a depth of 30m, there is a deep bed of stiff, heavily fissured kimmeridge clay, on which the tower and anchorage have been founded. Designed to cross the last major unbridged estuary in Britain, the bridge comprises reinforced concrete towers aerial-spun catenary cables and a continuously-welded, closed – box road deck supported by inclined hanger cables
    The Brooklyn Bridge, highly recognizable landmark and cultural icon, was the dream of John A. Roebling, the inventor of wire cable and an accomplished bridge builder. Designed in 1867, the bridge's prototype was a similar, though smaller structure over the Ohio River at Cincinnati. The dramatic butressed gothic towers are constructed entirely of granite. The roadway platform is hung on two-inch diameter steel suspenders strung from two pairs of cables - the catenaries - sixteen inches in diameter. Each cable is composed of 5,296 galvanized steel wires (the total length of wire used is 14,357 miles). Each of the four cables is capable of sustaining a live load of 12,000 tons. The opening of the bridge in 1883 was marred by the deaths of twelve pedestrians, who were trampled during a panic set off by a shouted warning, anonymous and groundless, that the bridge was in danger of imminent collapse. The bridge affords magnificent views of the East River, the harbor and downtown Manhattan. The pedestrian feels drawn into an association with the bridge and all of New YorkThe Sydney Harbour Bridge was opened on March 19th 1932 after six years of construction. Made of steel the bridge contains 6 million hand driven rivets. The surface area that requires painting is equal to about the surface area of 60 sports fields. The Bridge has huge hinges to absorb the expansion caused by the hot Sydney sun. You will see them on either side of the bridge at the footings of the Pylons. Sydney Harbour Bridge is the world's largest (but not longest) steel arch bridge, and, in its beautiful harbour location, has become a renowned international symbol of Australia.

Its total length including approach spans is 1149 metres and its arch span is 503 metres. The top of the arch is 134 metres above sea level and the clearance for shipping under the deck is a spacious 49 metres. The total steelwork weighs 52,800 tonnes, including 39,000 tonnes in the arch. The 49 metre wide deck makes Sydney Harbour Bridge the widest Longspan Bridge in the world.The Lantau Link, carries a railway as well as roads, comprises the Tsing Ma suspension bridge linking Tsing Yi to Ma Wan; viaducts crossing Ma Wan and the Kap Shui Mun cable-stayed bridge linking Ma Wan to Lantau.

The Tsing Ma Bridge has become internationally-known and a major Hong Kong landmark. Its main span of 1,377 metres is the world's longest carrying both road and railway, and its concrete towers is 206 metres tall. Construction of Tsing Ma Bridge commenced in May 1992 and completed in May 1997The Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, connecting Kobe on the mainland with Awaji on Awaji Island, is a huge three-span cable-stayed bridge some 3910 meters in total length with a center span of 1990 meters. It is the longest bridge of its type in the world, surpassing the Humber Bridge in the U.K. which has a center span of 1410 meters. The bridge has a wind-proof and earthquake-resistant construction, withstanding winds up to 80 meters per second and earthquakes reaching 8.5 on the Richter scale.IT HAS TAKEN 2 HOURS TO DRAW IT PHEW SEE I THINK U LIKE THIS ONE The Most Famous Bridges! 2z073c10U CAN SEE MY PHOTO IN BIG BY SAVING IT AND I NEED A V-FLAG PLZ HIKI AND U SHOULD NOT GIVE V-FLAG TO THEM WHO HAVE DRAWN BRIDGE ON PAPER I HAVE DRAWN ON PAINT IF I WOULD BE DRWING IN PAPER IT WOULD ALSO BE AWESOME

Last edited by username123456 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I HAVE WRITTEN UPLOADDING I HAVE TO WRITE SAVING)
    username123456
    username123456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by username123456 Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 am

I WANT A V-FLAG PLZ HIKI Very Happy :suspect:YOUR FRIEND USERNAME123456 lol!
    Yhanz
    Yhanz

Post by Yhanz Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:52 am

Well.. i know a kind of bridge,
    its called " san juanico bridge"
    Its kinda long bridge.. rabbit
    san juanico bridge can be found in phil. sunny
    at the sea level, we can really see the
    small boats and fishermans..
    san juanico bridge is the longest bridge in phil.
    it is most visited my tourist O.O

here my drawing -_-
    The Most Famous Bridges! Ft5g

san juanico bridge is constructed with almost billions
    o.O its really long bridge.

-dianamisaki

watch my vids in youtube !

dianamisaki123
    dianamisaki.tk <----!!!!
    Bubu1028
    Bubu1028
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Bubu1028 Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:20 am

heyy guys!Im bubu1028 and Ill be sharing stuff about the Golden gate bridge made in San Francisco. Exclamation
    I searched the internet and found some interesting stuff!

•Total length: Including approaches, 1.7 miles (8,981 feet or 2,737 m).
    •Middle span: 4,200 feet (1,966 m).
    Wink •Width: 90 feet (27 m).
    Shocked •Clearance above the high water (average): 220 feet (67 m).
    •Total weight when built: 894,500 tons (811,500,000 kg).
    •Total weight today: 887,000 tons (804,700,000 kg). Weight reduced because of new decking material.
    •Towers:
    •746 feet (227 m) above the water.
    •500 feet (152 m) above the roadway.
    •Each leg is 33 x 54 feet (10 x 16 m).
    •Towers weigh 44,000 tons each (40,200,000 kg).
    •There are about 600,000 rivets in EACH tower.

And did u know there are 128 lights are installed on the bridge roadway?!?
    wow xD!!

Here is my picture!
    The Most Famous Bridges! F2l9qs
    fusty
    fusty

The Most Famous Bridges! Empty Sydney Harbour Bridge

Post by fusty Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:50 am

The Sydney Harbour Bridge
    The Most Famous Bridges! File:Sydney_harbour_bridge_new_south_wales

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is in the heart of New South Whales, Australia. I is a curved structure, made from steel.The bridge was designed and built by Dorman Long and Co Ltd. The Bride officially opened on the 19th of march 1932. It measures 134 metres from water to the bridge level. Today You can travel over the bride by Car,Bus,Trains,Trucks,walking and you can even climb over the bridge, right up the very top! I have been over the Sydney Harbour Bridge many times,And the views re amazing. To make way for the the construction 799 houses and schools were domolished to make way for the new structure. At night the bridge lights up. On new years eve fireworks are set off from the top of the bridge. This has been a tradition for many years. in the middle is a picture. The past pictures havebeen...
    1998-99 - Smiley face with hair.
    1999-2000 - "Eternity" in copperplate writing, in honour of Arthur Stace
    2000-01 - Rainbow Serpent and Federation Star.
    2001-02 - Uluru
    2002-03 - Dove of Peace
    2003-04 - Light show
    2004-05 - Disco ball
    2005-06 - Love Heart (3 concentric love hearts with lights behind the middle)
    2006-07 - Coathanger and a diamond to celebrate the bridge's 75th anniversary or Diamond Jubilee in 2007.
    2007-08 - Hourglass.
    2008-09 - A sun

Hope you like my reserch! Come visit Australia its a wonderful place!
    phan
    phan

The Most Famous Bridges! Empty The Akashi-Kaikyo

Post by phan Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:27 am

This is Phan posting for Phan3
    The Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, connecting Kobe on the mainland with Awaji on Awaji Island, is a huge three-span cable-stayed bridge some 3910 meters in total length with a center span of 1990 meters. It is the longest bridge of its type in the world Shocked , surpassing the Humber Bridge in the U.K. which has a center span of 1410 meters Shocked . The bridge has a wind-proof and earthquake-resistant construction Very Happy , withstanding winds up to 80 meters per second and earthquakes reaching 8.5 on the Richter scale. Here is my picture:
    The Most Famous Bridges! Akashi10
    If I win can i get a green vflag thanks
    Phan3
    kash50905
    kash50905

Post by kash50905 Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 am

HI HIKIKOMORI I AM KASH50905 AND MY USERNAME ON CHOBOTS IS KASH50905 ALSO SO THE WORLDS MOST FAMOUSE BRIDFES ARE THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE VERY SHINY BRIDGE,GRAND CANYON SKY WALK HERE IS A PICTURE OF IT AND THE RIALTO BRIDGE IN ITALY IT IS VERY NICE ILL SHOW YOU A PICTURE OF IT TOO WELL THATS ALL I KNOW OF ILL SHOW YOU THE PICTURE OF THE SKY WALK AND RIALTO TOO OK BYE.THIS IS THE GRAND CANYON SKY WALK OK
    Code:
    The Most Famous Bridges! C:\Users\Clubpenguingang\Pictures\grand_canyon_skyroad_12
    C:\Users\Clubpenguingang\Pictures\rialto_bridge_venice.jpg THIS IS THE RIALTO BRIDGE OK BYE FOR NOW.
    z3hn
    z3hn
    Regular
    Regular

Post by z3hn Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:01 am

Tsing Ma Bridge is a bridge in Hong Kong, China. It is the world's sixth largest suspension bridge. The bridge was named after two of the islands in Hong Kong, namely Tsing Yi and Ma Wan . It has two decks and carries both road and rail traffic, which also makes it the largest suspension bridge of this type. The upper deck carries a dual three-lane carriageway and there are two tracks of railway and a two-lane emergency roadway in the lower deck for maintenance and the diversion of traffic during high winds. It has a main span of 1,377 metres (4,518 ft) (more than the famous Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco) and a height of 206 metres (676 ft). The span is the largest of all bridges in the world carrying rail traffic.The Tsing Ma Bridge links Tsing Yi Island on the east to Ma Wan island on the west over Ma Wan Channel. It is part of the Lantau Link, which, with three long span bridges links the New Territories and Chek Lap Kok, where the Hong Kong International Airport is located. The other two bridges are the Kap Shui Mun Bridge linking Ma Wan to Lantau Island over Kap Shui Mun, and the Ting Kau Bridge, linking Tsing Yi Island and Tuen Mun and Yuen Long, over Rambler Channel. Heres my drawing i worked hard on:[img]The Most Famous Bridges! Pictur12[/img]
    Gypman142
    Gypman142

Post by Gypman142 Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 am

Hello Guyz!

I will talk about Golden Gate Bridge! Smile

Soo About Golden Gate:

The Golden Gate Bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the Golden Gate, the opening of the San Francisco Bay onto the Pacific Ocean. As part of both U.S. Route 101 and California State Route 1, it connects the city of San Francisco on the northern tip of the San Francisco Peninsula to Marin County. The Golden Gate Bridge was the longest suspension bridge span in the world when it was completed during the year 1937, and has become an internationally recognized symbol of San Francisco and California. Since its completion, the span length has been surpassed by eight other bridges. It still has the second longest suspension bridge main span in the United States, after the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York City. In 2007, it was ranked fifth on the List of America's Favorite Architecture by the American Institute of Architects.

About Construction:

Construction began on January 5, 1933. The project cost more than $35 million.

Strauss remained head of the project, overseeing day-to-day construction and making some groundbreaking contributions. A graduate of the University of Cincinnati, he had placed a brick from his alma mater's demolished McMicken Hall in the south anchorage before the concrete was poured. He innovated the use of movable safety netting beneath the construction site, which saved the lives of many otherwise-unprotected steelworkers. Of eleven men killed from falls during construction, ten were killed (when the bridge was near completion) when the net failed under the stress of a scaffold that had fallen. Nineteen others who were saved by the net over the course of construction became proud members of the (informal) Halfway to Hell Club.
    The project was finished by April 1937, $1.3 million under budget.

About opening festivities:

The bridge-opening celebration began on 27 May 1937 and lasted for one week. The day before vehicle traffic was allowed, 200,000 people crossed by foot and roller skate. On opening day, Mayor Angelo Rossi and other officials rode the ferry to Marin, then crossed the bridge in a motorcade past three ceremonial "barriers," the last a blockade of beauty queens who required Joseph Strauss to present the bridge to the Highway District before allowing him to pass. An official song, "There's a Silver Moon on the Golden Gate," was chosen to commemorate the event. Strauss wrote a poem that is now on the Golden Gate Bridge entitled "The Mighty Task is Done." The next day, President Roosevelt pushed a button in Washington, DC signaling the official start of vehicle traffic over the Bridge at noon. When the celebration got out of hand, the SFPD had a small riot in the uptown Polk Gulch area. Weeks of civil and cultural activities called "the Fiesta" followed. A statue of Strauss was moved in 1955 to a site near the bridge.

About Design:

Strauss was chief engineer in charge of overall design and construction of the bridge project. However, because he had little understanding or experience with cable-suspension designs, responsibility for much of the engineering and architecture fell on other experts.

Irving Morrow, a relatively unknown residential architect, designed the overall shape of the bridge towers, the lighting scheme, and Art Deco elements such as the streetlights, railing, and walkways. The famous International Orange color was originally used as a sealant for the bridge. Many locals persuaded Morrow to paint the bridge in the vibrant orange color instead of the standard silver or gray, and the color has been kept ever since.

Senior engineer Charles Alton Ellis, collaborating remotely with famed bridge designer Leon Moisseiff, was the principal engineer of the project.Moisseiff produced the basic structural design, introducing his "deflection theory" by which a thin, flexible roadway would flex in the wind, greatly reducing stress by transmitting forces via suspension cables to the bridge towers. Although the Golden Gate Bridge design has proved sound, a later Moisseiff design, the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge, collapsed in a strong windstorm soon after it was completed, because of an unexpected aeroelastic flutter[18].

Ellis was a Greek scholar and mathematician who at one time was a University of Illinois professor of engineering despite having no engineering degree (he eventually earned a degree in civil engineering from University of Illinois prior to designing the Golden Gate Bridge and spent the last twelve years of his career as a professor at Purdue University). He became an expert in structural design, writing the standard textbook of the time. Ellis did much of the technical and theoretical work that built the bridge, but he received none of the credit in his lifetime. In November 1931, Strauss fired Ellis and replaced him with a former subordinate, Clifford Paine, ostensibly for wasting too much money sending telegrams back and forth to Moisseiff. Ellis, obsessed with the project and unable to find work elsewhere during the Depression, continued working 70 hours per week on an unpaid basis, eventually turning in ten volumes of hand calculations.

ECONOMIC:

The last of the construction bonds were retired in 1971, with $35 million in principal and nearly $39 million in interest raised entirely from bridge tolls. affraid

In November 2006, the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District recommended a corporate sponsorship program for the bridge to address its operating deficit, projected at $80 million over five years. The District promised that the proposal, which it called a "partnership program," would not include changing the name of the bridge or placing advertising on the bridge itself. In October 2007, the Board unanimously voted to discontinue the proposal and seek additional revenue through other means, most likely a toll increase.

On 2 September 2008, the auto cash toll for all southbound motor vehicles was raised from $5 to $6, and the FasTrak toll was increased from $4 to $5. Northbound motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic remains toll free. For vehicles with more than two axles, the toll rate is $2.50 per axle.

Congestion pricing

In March 2008, the Golden Gate Bridge District board approved a resolution to implement congestion pricing at the Golden Gate Bridge, charging higher tolls during peak hours, but rising and falling depending on traffic levels. This decision allowed the Bay Area to meet the federal requirement to receive $158 million in federal transportation funds from USDOT Urban Partnership grant. As a condition of the grant, the congestion toll must be in place by September 2009.
    The first results of the study, called the Mobility, Access and Pricing Study (MAPS), showed that a congestion pricing program is feasible. The different pricing scenarios considered were presented in public meetings in December 2008 and the final study results are expected for late 2009.

SOME PICTURES ABOUT GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE:

Its very nice in the dark:

The Most Famous Bridges! 779px-Ggb_by_night

Its verry verry popullar bridge:

The Most Famous Bridges! 450px-GoldenGateBridge

And its verry long and nice bridge:

The Most Famous Bridges! 800px-Lightmatter_Golden_gate_bridge

The Most Famous Bridges! 800px-GoldenGateBridge_BakerBeach_MC

The Most Famous Bridges! Golden-Gate-Bridge-san-francisco-1020074_1024_768

And I drew Golden Gate Bridge:

The Most Famous Bridges! 2hciyzd

What do you think about Golden Gate Bridge and about my draw? Smile

-Gypman142

Last edited by Gypman142 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
    aqua144
    aqua144
    Regular
    Regular

Post by aqua144 Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:53 am

My research is about Brooklyn Bridge, i hope you like it Wink

One of the bridges i know is the Brooklyn Bridge here in New York. Brooklyn Bridge connects Manhattan and Brooklyn. It is the longest bridge in United States,5,989 feet. John Roebling was a famous engineer, he started designing the bridge but he died from illness, so his son Washington Roebling completed the bridge. The bridge was completed in thirteen years and it opened in May 24,1883.

This is how the bridge looks like.
    The Most Famous Bridges! Resear13

This is my drawing Smile
    The Most Famous Bridges! Resear12

-Aqua144
    Newy82
    Newy82

The Most Famous Bridges! Empty MOST FAMOUS BRIDGES

Post by Newy82 Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:33 am

1. THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE
    (Click DOWN to see my picture)

In California, the three mile entrance from the Pacific Ocean into the Bay of San Fransisco is called the Golden Gate Strait, hence the name of the orange hued bridge. After four years, the bridge opened May 28, 1937 with the longest bridge suspension span, at the time, of 4,200 feet.

The orange color, called International Orange, was chosen in part because of it's visibility factor. Advection fog, a low ground hugging fog, is prevalent in the San Francisco bay. The bright bridge color helps drivers as well as ships see their way. The color was also chosen because of it's natural blend to the warm landscape of the area.

2. THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE
    (Click DOWN to see my picture)

The twenty minutes it takes to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, is worth the extra treat you'll give yourself in the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. It's directly under the bridge on the Brooklyn side. There are both motor vehicle entrances and separate pedestrian entrances at both ends, Brooklyn and Manhattan. New York has many bridges, but the Brooklyn Bridge is the most famous and known as the bridge to be sold to someone with a gullible nature. Actually, the phrase, "and if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you," was brought about when two con artists, Parker and McCloundy scammed by allegedly selling them parts of the bridge.

GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bvsHDgZDloY/SsHFHBpm4GI/AAAAAAAAAGg/pCoJ6ciK0ng/s1600-h/golden+gate+bridge.bmp

BROOKLYN BRI
    DGE
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bvsHDgZDloY/SsHEzEl9ihI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/v1_oVle5VH0/s1600-h/brooklyn+bridge.bmp

Last edited by Newy82 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : TO PUT PICTURES)
    muttly
    muttly
    Team Leader
    Team Leader

Post by muttly Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:37 am

Royal Gorge Bridge location: United States

Information:
    In 1980 the bridge hosted the television show "That's Incredible" for a different kind of jumping. On the show a group of British bungee jumpers from the Oxford Dangerous Sports Club consumed excessive amounts of Champagne before stepping off the bridge to set, at the time, world records for the highest bungee jump. The record setting jump went 800 feet into the 1,053 canyon. In 1981 the bridge was the subject in a GM Super Bowl commercial where in which GM suspended several hundred one gallon gas cans from under the bridge to demonstrate the amount of gas their new car would save you.

The bridge was closed to vehicle traffic from 1982-83 for significant renovations. During this time new cable anchors were installed. The original rusting cable ends were replaced by new multi-strand cables and then each of the 2,100 strands of existing suspension cable were spliced together with the new anchor cables. The bridge also got new floor timbers, wind cabling, and improvements to the bridge towers. The cost of the renovations were $2.8 million or roughly eight times the original cost of the bridge.

The Most Famous Bridges! 6rm3w6

Smile i hope this is good enough

Last edited by muttly on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    axceler8t
    axceler8t

Post by axceler8t Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:18 am

Hi,axceler8t here,i wanted to talk about the millau bridge,in France,other-wise known as...Le Viaduc de Millau bridge the worlds 2nd highest road bridge at an atonishing hight of...880ft but the highest bridge in the world is...

Royal Gorge Bridge in colorado , united states,this bridge is used for pedestrians and stuff,occasionly use for vechles and is in the Spider-man game on playstation 3,yeah,ive walked on it a few times and occasionaly i sling my web.
    But i still have to tell you about how high it is,wait for it,wait...

1053ft high,in excact measurement (road bridge,ithink)
    woah.Well thats all,p.s. this is for the earth research and hiki please see the nicho flag i designed it will look good on you, you have a plain flag.and im not sure if this is tooo accurat cos i avoided wikepidea and some other sites that might have good info

BYE!
    jellzyeahh111
    jellzyeahh111

Post by jellzyeahh111 Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 am

Hey, jellybaby321 here, first if you wanna visit my blog u can its 123chobots321.blogspot.com

Now for the real stuff:

My older sister did study bridges 3 years ago so she is helping me:

I have chosen to talk about a bridge is called the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge in a Town In Japan called Kobe. This is all hand typed not pasted by the way:

It is 3911 metres long! And it is 1991 metres span ! Now that IS big! It was first opened to public in 1998 and it is a suspension bridge. Some facts about the bridge:
    The Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, also known as the Pearl Bridge, is the longest suspension bridge (measured by the length of the center span of 1,991 metres). It spans the Akashi Strait connectiong Kobe and Iwaya on Awayi Island. The bridge took almost 12 years to build. Construction began in May 1986, and the bridge was opened to traffic on the 5th of April 1998. The central span would have had a span of 1990 metres, if the Kobe earthquake in 1995 had not moved the columns one metre further apart. As only the columns were placed by that time, the span was wided with one extra metre.

I could only find 1 picture of it and I can't upload it so It is on my blog along with the hand-drawn version by me. You know the link well anyway it is
    www.123chobots321.blogspot.com

And please can I have a hot pink v flag if I win and if I win two times I will have a hot pink one and a baby blue one aswell please.
    mrman1012nd
    mrman1012nd

Post by mrman1012nd Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 am

Brooklyn Bridge: Brooklyn Bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States. Designer John A. Roebling had designed important suspension bridges in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Texas. Tragically, Roebling was injured while surveying the property and died of tetanus before the bridge was built. His son, Washington Roebling completed the design and briefly supervised the engineering, but he also died. Fourteen years after it began, the project was completed by Washington Roebling's wife, Emily Warren Roebling.
    When the Brooklyn Bridge opened, crushing foot traffic, fired by a rumor that the bridge was about to collapse, stirred a stampede that killed twelve and injure thirty-five people. p.s im new here!
    The Most Famous Bridges! Brookl12
    elise__23
    elise__23

Post by elise__23 Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:51 am

london bridge Smile
    hope its good..i wasted time on it..more than the homework...lol
    i dont do much info but i work hard on drawings Smile
    The Most Famous Bridges! 6ofnmv
    Guguzi
    Guguzi
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Guguzi Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:02 am

nice posts
    GreenpopperOnChobots
    GreenpopperOnChobots

The Most Famous Bridges! Empty The Brooklyn Bridge

Post by GreenpopperOnChobots Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:45 am

My Summary Of The Brooklyn Bridge

The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States, The Brooklyn Bridge was designed in 1867 by John Roebling but he died from illness, so his son Washington Roebling completed the bridge, the bridge opened in May 24,1883. The Brooklyn Bridge measures a height of 272 feet and a length of 6016 feet.

The Most Famous Bridges! Brookl10

The Most Famous Bridges! Brookl11

The Most Famous Bridges! Firewo10
    zildj1
    zildj1

Post by zildj1 Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 am

Magdeburg Water Bridge is exactly what the name suggests it is, it is a bridge that goes over water and holds water. It was built to connect the Elbe-Havel Canal and the Mittellandkanal, without a tedious 7.5 mile detour along the River Rhine . it actually crosses the River Elbe. It took 6 years to built the 3,010ft long bridge, $733 million for 68,000 cubic meters of concrete and 24,000 tonnes of structural steel.

picture of bridge:
    The Most Famous Bridges! 6t5sr3l

my drawing of bridge (not good at all, lol) :
    The Most Famous Bridges! Magdeb10
    What a Face What a Face What a Face ~zildj1[url][/url]
    aqua144
    aqua144
    Regular
    Regular

Post by aqua144 Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:52 am

Tower Bridge in London

London bridge contains two towers tied together, over River Thames in England.It is London's one of the best known landmarks. The bridge is 60meters long, and the height of the towers are 43meters. From top of the towers you can have a great view of center of London. The bridge was designed by Sir Horace Jones and it was opened in 1894.
    This is my drawing Smile
    The Most Famous Bridges! Resear14

Last edited by aqua144 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:32 am