Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Puffles
ashley_cool_girl
6 posters

About Duck

ashley_cool_girl
    ashley_cool_girl

About  Duck Empty About Duck

Post by ashley_cool_girl Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Duck

Duck is the common name for a number of species in the Anatidae family of birds. The ducks are divided between several subfamilies listed in full in the Anatidae article; they do not represent a monophyletic group but a form taxon, since swans and geese are not considered ducks. Ducks are mostly aquatic birds, mostly smaller than the swans and geese, and may be found in both fresh water and sea water.

Ducks are sometimes confused with several types of unrelated water birds with similar forms, such as loons or divers, grebes, gallinules, and coots.

The word duck comes from Old English *dūce, a derivative of the verb *dūcan "to duck, bend down low as if to get under something, or dive", because of the way many species in the dabbling duck group feed by upending; compare with Dutch duiken and German tauchen "to dive".

This word replaced Old English æned "duck", favored by æned presumably developing into a homophone of the outcome of Old English ende "end". Other Germanic languages still have similar words for "duck", for example, Dutch eend "duck" and German Ente "duck". The word æned was inherited form Proto-Indo-European; compare: Latin anas "duck", Lithuanian ántis "duck", Ancient Greek nēssa/nētta (νήσσα, νήττα) "duck", and Sanskrit ātí "water bird", among others.

Some people use "duck" specifically for adult females and "drake" for adult males, for the species described here; others use "hen" and "drake", respectively.

A duckling is a young duck in downy plumage[1] or baby duck.[2]; but in the food trade young adult ducks ready for roasting are sometimes labelled "duckling".

About  Duck Duck-715299
    Duck
    Puffles
    Puffles
    Agent
    Agent

About  Duck Empty Re: About Duck

Post by Puffles Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Ducks are beautiful creatures of nature. Ducks are good to eat, too. (Sorry if that offends someone.) Thanks for sharing. study
    Youngjeezy456
    Youngjeezy456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Youngjeezy456 Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:50 pm

O ya I love eating ducks! It's like chicken but its sweeter! rabbit I had ducks all over my pond! lol!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm

ducks ducks ducks!
    benosss
    Regular
    Regular

Post by benosss Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 pm

thanks!
    JenniD5
    JenniD5
    Regular
    Regular

Post by JenniD5 Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 pm

interesting information
    purpleburple2
    purpleburple2
    Regular
    Regular

Post by purpleburple2 Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:18 am

omg, i had a favourite duck n it was born of my other duck and it died Sad, it was just a 3 day old cute duckling

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:03 pm