Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Fact of frog by unni

unni

Fact of frog by unni Empty Fact of frog by unni

Post by unni Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:24 am

Frogs belong to a group of animals called amphibians. (am-fib-ee-anz). Amphibian means two-lives. Frogs begin their lives in the water as eggs and then tadpoles and when they are fully developed they live on land. Scientists believe that there are more than 4,000 different kinds of amphibians on Earth. Toads, newts, salamanders and caecilians (blind worms) are also members of the amphibian group.

Frogs are cold-blooded which means that their bodies are the same temperature as the air or water around them. When they are cold they will lay in the sun to warm up and when they get too warm they will go into the water to cool their bodies off.

Scientists have found frogs fossils that date back to the Jurassic period over 140 million years ago.

Frogs are found all over the world, and in every climate, except Antarctica. They can be found near any, and every, body of fresh water but prefer ponds, lakes, and marshes, because the water doesn’t move very fast. Frogs cannot live in the sea or any salt water.

Frogs begin their lives as tadpoles that are hatched in the water from tiny jelly-covered eggs. The mother frog will lay thousands of eggs at one time. Imagine having thousands of brothers and sisters!

The jelly has an awful taste, which protects the eggs from predators until they are ready to hatch.

Tadpoles are born with gills, just like a fish, so that they can breathe under water. They have a big head and a long tail. They definitely do not look like frogs, yet! Tadpoles have a tough life. It’s a good thing they are fast swimmers to escape the many other creatures that hunt them in the pond. They are a favorite food to fish and water beetles.

i hope you guys like it. Smile
    Puffles
    Puffles
    Agent
    Agent

Fact of frog by unni Empty Re: Fact of frog by unni

Post by Puffles Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:03 am

Living in and around my pond, I have seven species of frogs! I hear them singing at night. I don't look for them so I have no idea what they look like.

Frogs are fast swimmers! Sometimes I walk down to the creek. A frog will jump into the water; and disappear before I can see it!
    Youngjeezy456
    Youngjeezy456
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Youngjeezy456 Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:36 am

Oops I didnt see your post about frogs and i made on to Sad O well. And wow you have alot of facts. I used to live near a pond to and I would catch the frogs and keep them bt once i got bored i threw them back into the water. One time I caught 15 in an hour!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Great facts Unni. Smile
    Guguzi
    Guguzi
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Guguzi Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 pm

yea. thanks for topic

Sponsored content