Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+46
chessie123
aqua144
chobox_360
nenechace
birdplate
abish14
allstar0014
jazzy567
howdoifindaname
Blackie487
fashionfreak
coffee2353
Crust
smirk
mimorulz
Antguy815
Yolande
Orangio
little98miss
radiostar
Gypman142
tania1998
Gelu_cool
aneelio
muttly
Gabriherpes
Iced
mijo
bule22
xmen1996
Sanjam
wowo24
darkboy88
jpenguin5858
valikoss
unni
kukazu
djvilas
BetaOmer
smartdetective
ferari225 me
blacky321
Potter909
Guguzi
Peach10
Hikikomori
50 posters

Valentine's Day History

Gelu_cool
    Gelu_cool

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty Re: Valentine's Day History

Post by Gelu_cool Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 am

Story of St. Valentine

The story of Valentine's Day begins in the third century with an oppressive Roman emperor and a humble Christian Martyr. The emperor was Claudius II. The Christian was Valentinus.
    Claudius had ordered all Romans to worship twelve gods, and had made it a crime punishable by death to associate with Christians. But Valentinus was dedicated to the ideals of Christ; not even the threat of death could keep him from practicing his beliefs. He was arrested and imprisoned.
    During the last weeks of Valentinus's life a remarkable thing happened. Seeing that he was a man of learning, the jailer asked whether his daughter, Julia, might be brought to Valentinus for lessons.She had been blind since birth. Julia was a pretty young girl with a quick mind.Valentinus read stories of Rome's history to her. He described the world of nature to her. He taught her arithmetic and told her about God. She saw the world through his eyes, trusted his wisdom, and found comfort in his quiet strength.
    "Valentinus, does God really hear our prayers?" Julia asked one day.
    "Yes, my child, He hears each one."
    "Do you know what I pray for every morning and every night? I pray that I might see. I want so much to see everything you've told me about!"
    "God does what is best for us if we will only believe in Him," Valentinus said.
    "Oh, Valentinus, I do believe! I do!" She knelt and grasped his hand.
    They sat quietly together, each praying. Suddenly there was a brilliant light in the prison cell. Radiant, Julia screamed, "Valentinus, I can see! I can see!"
    "Praise be to God!" Valentinus exclaimed, and he knelt in prayer.
    On the eve of his death Valentinus wrote a last note to Julia, urging her to stay close to God. He signed it, "From your Valentine." His sentence was carried out the next day, February 14, 270 A.D., near a gate that was later named Porta Valentini in his memory. He was buried at what is now the Church of Praxedes in Rome. It is said that Julia planted a pink-blossomed almond tree near his grave. Today, the almond tree remains a symbol of abiding love and friendship. On each February 14, Saint Valentine's Day, messages of affection, love, and devotion are exchanged around the world.

My pic:
    Valentine's Day History - Page 2 23utx5c

I HOPE WIN:)
    ferari225 me
    ferari225 me

Post by ferari225 me Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:25 am

[URL="http://www.mubos-md.com/brawlcards/levelup.php?96759"]Valentine's Day History - Page 2 3wj2ipbt
    Click here to level up my card![/URL]
    level up my license Wink))
    tania1998
    tania1998

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty The history of Valentine's day :)

Post by tania1998 Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am

Well here is my post Smile
    I found many information and i made my own Very Happy

Every February, across the country,candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. But who is this mysterious saint and why do we celebrate this holiday? The history of Valentine's Day — and its patron saint — is shrouded in mystery. But we do know that February has long been a month of romance. St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition. So, who was Saint Valentine and how did he become associated with this ancient rite? Today, the Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.
    One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men — his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.
    Gypman142
    Gypman142

Post by Gypman142 Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:43 am

~Heya! Smile

I read lots of storyes and other interesting things about Valentine's day! And I tryed to choose verry interesting informations.I supplemented the research,what am I knewn about this day myself! Wink

~Valentine's Day(Saint Valentine's Day)

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 358zc08

Many people celebrate Valentine's day on february 14th over the world! Here,in my country we call this day "Bálint-nap"! Smile

~About the day:

In the English-speaking countries, it is the traditional day on which lovers express their love for each other by sending Valentine's cards, presenting flowers, or offering confectionery.

The day is most closely associated with the mutual exchange of love notes in the form of "valentines". Modern Valentine symbols include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten notes have largely given way to mass-produced greeting cards.The sending of Valentines was a fashion in nineteenth-century Great Britain, and, in 1847.
    The popularity of Valentine cards in 19th century America, where many Valentine cards are now general greeting cards rather than declarations of love, was a harbinger of the future commercialization of holidays in the United States.It's considered one of the Hallmark holidays.

~About the name "Valentine":

Numerous early Christian martyrs were named Valentine. The Valentines honored on February 14.Valentine of Rome was a priest in Rome who suffered martyrdom about AD 269 and was buried on the Via Flaminia. His relics are at the Church of Saint Praxed in Rome.And at Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church in Dublin, Ireland.

The Catholic Encyclopedia also speaks of a second saint named Valentine who was mentioned in early martyrologies under date of February 14. He was martyred in Africa with a number of companions, but nothing more is known about him. :S

~And one little story:

"Chauncer's love birds"

While some claim the first recorded association of Valentine's Day with romantic love is in Parlement of Foules (1382) by Geoffrey Chaucer this may be the result of misinterpretation. Chaucer wrote:

"For this was on seynt Volantynys day
    Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make."

This poem was written to honor the first anniversary of the engagement of King Richard II of England to Anne of Bohemia. A treaty providing for a marriage was signed on May 2, 1381. (When they were married eight months later, he was 13 or 14, and she was 14.) affraid

Readers have uncritically assumed that Chaucer was referring to February 14 as Valentine's Day; however, mid-February is an unlikely time for birds to be mating in England. Henry Ansgar Kelly has pointed out that in the liturgical calendar, May 2 is the saints' day for Valentine of Genoa.

~And this holiday have other and other forms Smile "Other countryes,other traditions" Smile

Valentine's Day has regional traditions in the UK. In Norfolk, a character called 'Jack' Valentine knocks on the rear door of houses leaving sweets and presents for children. Although he was leaving treats, many children were scared of this mystical person.Shocked

~In Wales, many people celebrate Dydd Santes Dwynwen (St Dwynwen's Day) on January 25 instead of or as well as St Valentine's Day. The day commemorates St Dwynwen, the patron saint of Welsh lovers.

~In France, a traditionally Catholic country, Valentine's Day is known simply as "Saint Valentin", and is celebrated in much the same way as other western countries. In Spain Valentine's Day is known as "San Valentín" and is celebrated the same way as in the U.K, although in Catalonia it is largely superseded by similar festivities of rose and/or book giving on La Diada de Sant Jordi (Saint George's Day). In Portugal it's more commonly referred to as "Dia dos Namorados" (Boy/Girlfriend's Day). What a Face

~In Denmark and Norway, Valentine's Day (14 Feb) is known as Valentinsdag. It is not celebrated to a large extent, but many people take time to eat a romantic dinner with their partner, to send a card to a secret love or give a red rose to their loved one. In Sweden it is called Alla hjärtans dag ("All Hearts' Day") and was launched in the 1960s by the flower industry's commercial interests, and due to the influence of American culture. It is not an official holiday, but its celebration is recognized and sales of cosmetics and flowers for this holiday are only exceeded by those for Mother's Day. Wink

~In Slovenia, a proverb says that "St Valentine brings the keys of roots," so on February 14, plants and flowers start to grow. Valentine's Day has been celebrated as the day when the first work in the vineyards and in the fields commences. It is also said that birds propose to each other or marry on that day. lol! Nevertheless, it has only recently been celebrated as the day of love. The day of love is traditionally March 12, the Saint Gregory's day. Another proverb says "Valentin - prvi spomladin" ("Valentine — first saint of spring"), as in some places (especially White Carniola) Saint Valentine marks the beginning of spring.

~My Drawings:

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 2dvvm75

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Sy9v09
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 2lwxcas

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 2u61d1v

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 2wphs0n Sad

Im sooo sorry,It started fading!

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Sxm8wo

___________________________________________________________________________________________

More drawings are coming soon! Smile)

~I hope you liked my research,I tryed to put there interesting things! Smile

~Gyp

Last edited by Gypman142 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:36 am; edited 8 times in total
    radiostar
    radiostar

Post by radiostar Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 am

My entry. Smile
    Valentine's Day History - Page 2 2m7u88o
    tania1998
    tania1998

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty My draw:)

Post by tania1998 Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 am

I forgot to give you my darw about valentine's day Very Happy
    Well here it is!!
    [img]Valentine's Day History - Page 2 My_dra10[/img]
    Thanks you:)
    ~tania
    little98miss
    little98miss

Post by little98miss Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:14 pm

ok,heres my entry,hope you like it,I write on paint the text+picture,really hope you like it:)) Very Happy

P.c.first i didn't know where to reply,then guguzi helped me,thank you guguzi:) cheers tongue

ok,heres my drawing+text:

https://2img.net/h/oi46.tinypic.com/24nl5k8.jpg

-little98miss-
    Orangio
    Orangio

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty Saint Valentine's Day

Post by Orangio Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Hello,

I had looked at the post on the Chobots blog about the research I always wanted to find out why it was called Valentine's Day so here is why:

The holiday "Valentine's Day" was named after two with the numerous Early Christian martyrs named Valentine.

So there is my little dose of knowledge!

Orangio Very Happy

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Valentines_day
    Yolande
    Yolande

Post by Yolande Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Awesome Very Happy
    Here is my entry:

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Valentinesday

Also I love everyone's entries so far Very Happy

edit: here is another pic i drew Smile))

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Valentine-1

Last edited by Yolande on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Antguy815
    Antguy815

Post by Antguy815 Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Every February, candy, flowers and a bunch of other gifts are given out. But why? According to legends, there was a person who was a priest during the third century in Rome named Valentine. When the Emperor (Emperor Claudius the 2nd) decided to make a law that prevents young men from getting married since he wanted people to go to war without worrying about their wives. Valentine thought that the law wasn’t right so he secretly married the young people who wanted to get married. When the emperor discovered his actions, he ordered that Valentine will be put to death.

Some people believe that Valentine’s Day is celebrated for the anniversary of Valentine’s death or burial, but others believe it’s celebrated for other reasons like to express your feelings to someone or just a fun holiday where you exchange gifts. Also some people just believe it’s a Hallmark holiday (Hallmark is a store that sells cards and candles etc.). That’s what I learned about Valentine’s Day.

Here's the link to my drawing:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CU4U-SUuSaY/S1Ybv-fW0dI/AAAAAAAAAc4/nOakuNZwNaI/s1600-h/CHOBOTSVALENTINE.png
    mimorulz
    mimorulz

Post by mimorulz Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Here Is My Entry Very Happy

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Valent10

Good Luck To All! Wink

Mimorulz
    smirk
    smirk

Post by smirk Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:15 pm

Hey Hiki, missed you pig Wishing you a great Valentines day. I just want to let you know, the report below has NOT been copy and pasted, but entirely of what I know of the day and from what I have read, enjoy flower

--

Valentines Day is a day that is used for remembering your true love. A day that you can send red roses and chocolates to a loved one. A day of 'love'. Valentines Day is often represented by a cupid (a baby boy angel), who often carries a bow and arrow and shoots someone with the 'love arrow' which makes them fall in deep love. Also, this day is so 'world-wide' that 200 million valentines cards are send to loved ones annually. I love you It got its name my Mr. Valentine, a priest. So, how about this February 14th, you tell your chobot friends that you love them in a friend way, and thanks for being great friends. I know I will.

-----

Thanks, bye! Hope you like mine, I love the medals are red rosettes, so fashionable!

Hugs, Kisses, and Valentine Wishes. -Smirk Like a Star @ heaven
    Crust
    Crust

Post by Crust Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Every year, the fourteenth day of the month of February has millions across the world presenting their loved ones with candy, flowers, chocolates and other lovely gifts. In many countries, restaurants and eateries are seen to be filled with couples who are eager to celebrate their relationship and the joy of their togetherness through delicious cuisines. There hardly seems to be a young man or woman who is not keen to make the most of the day.

The reason behind all of this is a kindly cleric named Valentine who died more than a thousand years ago.

It is not exactly known why the 14th of February is known as Valentine's Day or if the noble Valentine really had any relation to this day. The history of Valentine's Day is impossible to be obtained from any archive and the veil of centuries gone by has made the origin behind this day more difficult to trace. It is only some legends that are our source for the history of Valentine's Day.

The modern St. Valentine's Day celebrations are said to have been derived from both ancient Christian and Roman tradition. As per one legend, the holiday has originated from the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalis/Lupercalia, a fertility celebration that used to observed annually on February 15. But the rise of Christianity in Europe saw many pagan holidays being renamed for and dedicated to the early Christian martyrs. Lupercalia was no exception. In 496 AD, Pope Gelasius turned Lupercalia into a Christian feast day and set its observance a day earlier, on February 14. He proclaimed February 14 to be the feast day in honour of Saint Valentine, a Roman martyr who lived in the 3rd century. It is this St. Valentine whom the modern Valentine's Day honours.
    Yolande
    Yolande

Post by Yolande Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:10 pm

Here is beebopadoobop's entry ^^

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Vday

Enjoy)
    coffee2353
    coffee2353
    Regular
    Regular

Post by coffee2353 Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Well, since most people have already told the story, and you'll probably get bored of reading it a ton of times, I've decided to just collect a bunch of fun facts! Plus a few Chobots Valentines pictures :] Enjoy, Hiki!
    1. About 1 BILLION Valentine's Day cards are exchanged each year! Next to Christmas, that's the largest number of annual card exchanging!
    2. 3% of pet owners give their pets gifts for Valentine's Day!
    3. To be awoken by a kiss on Valentine's Day is considered lucky :] lol!
    4. Women purchase 85% of Valentine's cards.
    5. Teachers recieve the most valentines. study
    6.In the 1800’s, doctors typically would advise their broken hearted patients to eat chocolate to calm them down.
    7.Richard Cadbury invented the first box of Valentine themed chocolates in the 1880’s!
    8.Worldwide, over 50 million roses are given out for Valentine's Day each year. affraid
    9. Some people used to believe that if a woman saw a robin flying on Valentine's Day, it meant that she would marry a sailor. If she saw a sparrow, she would marry a poor man, and if she saw a goldfinch, she would marry a millionaire. Weird!
    10.In the United States, 64% of men do not make plans in advance for a romantic Valentine's date with their significant others. (lol we r such slackaz XD)
    11.Eight billion candy hearts are sold between January 1st and February 14th.
    12.50% of women say they prefer simple gifts on Valentine's Day such as a card, candy, or flowers.
    13. French is commonly known as "the language of love"
    14. In the middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week.
    Well, I made 14 facts to represent February 14th Very Happy cool, right?
    Now time for pictures (I made 3):
    https://2img.net/h/oi50.tinypic.com/2eat6qc.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/oi47.tinypic.com/eqt98z.jpg
    https://2img.net/h/oi45.tinypic.com/ab0dgj.jpg
    Enjoy my pictures and have fun reading my facts!
    fashionfreak
    fashionfreak

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty Love poem! <3

Post by fashionfreak Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi!!! its me twistie!!!!

In the Middle Ages, there was a belief that the first unmarried person of the opposite gender you met on the morning of Valentine's Day would become your partner! which basically means if your a girl and you were walking on the streetor where ever on valentines day, the first boy (because ur girl) would become ur future husband! the same goes for the men expect other way round Very Happy and that the cupid is a symbol of love and is the son of venus! flower sunny I love you

-Twistie <3

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 314ow2v
    Blackie487
    Blackie487

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty Valentines Day History

Post by Blackie487 Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:16 pm

How It All Began

In 496 A.D. Christianity had earlier spread and now taken over the country of Rome. Rome’s pope at the time, Pope Gelasius, outlawed Lupercalia, which honored Roman gods Lupercus and Faunus, as well as the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. Acknowledging its popularity he replaced it with something that felt more "appropriate" and made February 14th to honor Saint Valentine. Why February 14th, you ask? That was Saint Valentine's day in which he was killed. The reason he was killed was because long before, an Emperor of Rome made a law that soldiers must remain bachelors, or unmarried men. Valentine, being the romantic sweetheart he was, secret wed bachelors to their lovers. In 1969 the church removed Valentine's day from the calendar of official holidays, though it is still widely celebrated today.

Where Does The Legendary Cupid Come In?

According to the Roman mythology Cupid was a son of the goddess Venus, whom was the goddess of beauty and love. Cupid was known to make people fall in love by shooting them with "magic" arrows. Cupid didn't just cause others to fall into love (he also caused himself)!
    Legend says Cupid fell in love with a mortal maiden whose name was Phyche. Phyche happily married Cupid, but Venus, jealous of Phyche's beauty, she forbid her to look at Cupid. Phyche, who couldn't control her desires, sneaked a peek at her husband, Cupid. As punishment, Venus demanded Phyche to complete 3 difficult tasks, which the last task resulted in her death.
    Cupid brought Phyche back to life, and the other gods, astonished by their love, granted Phyche immortality. Therefore, Cupid represents the Heart and Phyche represents the struggles of the human soul.

I Thought It Was Made By Card Companies To Sell More Cards!

No, it's actually wasn't just made by card companies! After researching for my report I was amazed because I'd always thought that Card Companies were just greedy... I guess not. This Valentine's Day, tell your Valentine the true story of how Valentine's Day came to be. Maybe they'll fall in love with you just like Phyche fell in love with Cupid! You'll never know what'll happen! Wink

Here's an illustration I made of Cupid falling in love with Phyche! Hope you like it Hiki! Very Happy

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Chopic12
    howdoifindaname
    howdoifindaname

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Empty My entry.

Post by howdoifindaname Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:39 pm

Hey guys this is my entry !
    15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day.

73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine's Day are men, while only 27 percent are women.

About 1 billion Valentine's Day cards are exchanged each year. That's the largest seasonal card-sending occasion of the year, next to Christmas.

About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine's Day gifts to their pets.

Alexander Graham Bell applied for his patent on the telephone, an "Improvement in Telegraphy", on Valentine's Day, 1876.

California produces 60 percent of American roses, but the vast number sold on Valentine's Day in the United States are imported, mostly from South America. Approximately 110 million roses, the majority red, will be sold and delivered within a three-day time period.

Cupid, another symbol of Valentines Day, became associated with it because he was the son of Venus, the Roman god of love and beauty. Cupid often appears on Valentine cards holding a bow and arrows because he is believed to use magical arrows to inspire feelings of love.

During the late 1800s, postage rates around the world dropped, and the obscene St. Valentine's Day card became popular, despite the Victorian era being otherwise very prudish. As the numbers of racy valentines grew, several countries banned the practice of exchanging Valentine's Days cards. During this period, Chicago's post office rejected more than 25,000 cards on the grounds that they were so indecent, they were not fit to be carried through the U.S. mail.

During the Middle Ages, the belief that birds chose their mates on St. Valentine's Day led to the idea that boys and girls would do the same. Up through the early 1900s, the Ozark hill people in the eastern United States thought that birds and rabbits started mating on February 14, a day for them which was not only Valentine's Day but Groundhog Day as well.

February 14, 270 A.D. : Roman Emperor Claudius II, dubbed "Claudius the Cruel," beheaded a priest named Valentine for performing marriage ceremonies. Claudius II had outlawed marriages when Roman men began refusing to go to war in order to stay with their wives.

Hallmark has over 1330 different cards specifically for Valentine's Day.

Humorous valentines of the 19th century were called "Vinegar Valentines" or "Penny Dreadfuls." Vinegar Valentines were introduced in 1858 by John McLaughin, a Scotsman with a New York City Publishing Business. Penny Dreadfuls with comic designs drawn in 1870 by American cartoonists Charles Howard became known as Penny Dreadfuls.

In 1929 in Chicago, gunmen in the suspected employment of organized-crime boss Al Capone murder seven members of the George "Bugs" Moran North Siders gang in a garage on North Clark Street. The so-called St. Valentine's Day Massacre stirred a media storm centered on Capone and his illegal Prohibition-era activities and motivated federal authorities to redouble their efforts to find evidence incriminating enough to take him off the streets.

In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who their valentines would be. They would wear these names on their sleeves for one week. To wear your heart on your sleeve now means that it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling.

In the United States, 64 percent of men do not make plans in advance for a romantic Valentine's Day with their sweethearts.

In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine's Day card.

In Wales, wooden love spoons were carved and given as gifts on February 14th. Hearts, keys and keyholes were favorite decorations on the spoons. The decoration meant, "You unlock my heart!"

It wasn't until 1537 that St. Valentine's Day was declared an official holiday. England's King Henry VIII declared February 14th a holiday.

On February 14, 1779, Captain James Cook, the great English explorer and navigator, was murdered by natives of Hawaii during his third visit to the Pacific island group.

One single perfect red rose framed with baby's breath is referred to by some florists as a "signature rose," and is the preferred choice for many for giving on Valentine's Day, anniversary, or birthday.

Only the U.S., Canada, Mexico, France, Australia and the U.K. celebrate Valentine's Day.

Sir Alexander Fleming was a young bacteriologist when an accidental discovery led to one of the great developments of modern medicine. Having left a plate of staphylococcus bacteria uncovered, Fleming noticed that a mold that had fallen on the culture had killed many of the bacteria. He identified the mold as penicillium notatum, similar to the kind found on bread. On February 14, 1929, Fleming introduced his mold by-product called penicillin to cure bacterial infections.

Some people used to believe that if a woman saw a robin flying overhead on Valentine's Day, it meant she would marry a sailor. If she saw a sparrow, she would marry a poor man and be very happy. If she saw a goldfinch, she would marry a millionaire.

Teachers will receive the most Valentine's Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, and then, sweethearts. Children ages 6 to 10 exchange more than 650 million Valentine's cards with teachers, classmates, and family members.

The "I Love You" computer virus was detected in Hong Kong on May 1, 2000. In four days the virus had mutated into three different generations. Figures by Trend Micro Inc. showed that "I Love You" had infected 3.1 million computers worldwide.

The 17th century a hopeful maiden ate a hard-boiled egg and pinned five bay leaves to her pillow before going to sleep on Valentine's eve. It was believed this would make her dream of her future husband.

The ancient Romans celebrated the Feast of Lupercalia in honor of Juno, the queen of the Roman gods and goddesses on February 14. Juno was also the goddess of women and marriage.

The Empire State Building in New York City played a prominent role in the movie Sleepless in Seattle. This year 15 couples will take (or renew) their vows on the 80th floor of this famous landmark.

The first American publisher of valentines was printer and artist Esther Howland. During the 1870s, her elaborate lace cards were purchased by the wealthy, as they cost a minimum of 5 dollars - some sold for as much as 35 dollars. Mass production eventually brought prices down, and the affordable "penny valentine" became popular with the lower classes.

The first photograph of a U.S. President was taken on February 14, 1849 by Matthew Brady in New York City. President James Polk was the subject of the famous picture. .

The first televised tour of the White House aired on February 14 in 1962. First Lady Jackie Kennedy hosted the tour.

The heart is the most common symbol of romantic love. Ancient cultures believed the human soul lived in the heart. Others thought it to be the source of emotion and intelligence. Some believed the heart embodied a man's truth, strength and nobility. The heart may be associated with love because the ancient Greeks believed it was the target of Eros, known as Cupid to the Romans. Anyone shot in the heart by one of Cupid's arrows would fall hopelessly in love. Because the heart is so closely linked to love, it's red colour is thought to be the most romantic.

The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare's lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine's Day.

The Kama Sutra is believed to be the oldest sex manual in existence. Generally considered the standard work on love in Sanskrit literature, the book is thought to have been written around 300 A.D.

The most fantastic gift of love is the Taj Mahal in India. It was built by Mughal Emperor Shahjahan as a memorial to his wife, who died in childbirth. Work on the Taj began in 1634 and continued for almost 22 years. required the labor of 20,000 workers from all over India and Central Asia.

The oldest known Valentines were sent in 1415 A.D. by the Duke of Orleans to his French wife while he was imprisoned in the Tower of London. It is still on display in a museum in England.

The oldest surviving love poem is written in a clay tablet from the times of the Sumerians, inventors of writing, around 3500 B.C. It was unromantically named Istanbul #2461 by the archeologists who unearthed it.

The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love. Red stands for strong feelings which is why a red rose is a flower of love.

Valentine's Day is big business. Consumers will spend an average of $77.43 on Valentine's Day gifts this year. E-commerce retailers expect to rack up about $650 million in sales of food, candy, flowers, and other Valentine's Day gifts. Of that amount about $350 million will be for gifts and flowers and another $45 million will be spent on food (including chocolate) and wine.

Wearing a wedding ring on the fourth finger of the left hand dates back to ancient Egypt, where it was believed that the vein of love ran from this finger directly to the heart.

A ring has been included in wedding ceremonies since the 12th century. Pope Innocent the Third ordained that marriages had to take place in church and that a wedding ring should be exchanged during the service.

In England, the Romans, who had taken over the country, had introduced a pagan fertility festival held every February 14. After the Romans left England, nearly a century later, the pagan ritual was abolished by Pope Gelsius who established St. Valentine's Day as a celebration of love in 496 A.D.

In America, the pilgrims sent confections, such as sugar wafers, marzipan, sweetmeats and sugar plums, to their betrothed. Great value was placed on these gifts because they included what was then a rare commodity, sugar. After the late 1800's, beet sugar became widely used and more available, and sweet gifts continued to be valued and enjoyed.

Chocolate manufacturers currently use 40 percent of the world's almonds and 20 percent of the world's peanuts. thanks! alien clown afro santa I love you study study i JUST STUDIED SOME MORELong before St. Valentine lived, February 14th had strong links with fertility. The date traditionally is known for when birds choose their mates.
    Roman festival of Lupercalia used to be celebrated on February 15th where young men held a lottery to conclude which girl would be theirs.
    In Medieval times, girls ate bizarre foods on St Valentine's Day to make them dream of their future spouse.
    In the Middle Ages, there was a belief that the first unmarried person of the opposite sex you met on the morning of St. Valentine's Day would become your spouse.
    The first Valentine gift was sent by Duke of Orleans to his wife, after he was captured in 1415.
    73% of Valentine Day flowers are bought by men, whereas women buy only 23% of Valentine flowers.
    Around 3% of pet owners prefer to give Valentine gifts to their pets, as they are more grateful than Valentines day has connection with the term fertility because it is on the fourteenth of February when even before the birth of Saint Valentine, the birds used to mate with their partners.
    February fifteenth was a lottery day for men for deciding their girl partner.
    It was during the Middle Ages when girls maintained their belief that the first man they would get to see on the Valentine Day would be their future spouse.
    The trend of exchanging cards and gifts started during the seventeenth century and their sale boosted by the nineteenth century.
    Origin of Valentines Day dates back to the times of Roman Empire during the reign of Claudius II. Claudius was under the impression that single men turned out to be better soldiers because marriage hinders a man's progress. It was during those days when the emperor got to know that Saint Valentine was secretly helping young men and women in getting married so he awarded Saint Valentine with death sentence. While in jail he gave his heart to the daughter of jailor and he wrote her a love note and ended it by writing " from your valentine".
    By the end of eighteenth century, as an alternative to hand written letters came printed cards and all this is attributable to developments in printing technology and since then the fashion of exchanging beautifully quoted greeting cards began and this trend of presenting cards as a token of love will never fade. Every year virtually one billion cards are sent making it the next largest greeting card exchanging day after Christmas.
    Women are more actively involved in buying valentine greetings.
    People had a belief that if a robin flies above an unmarried woman's head, then it is likely that her wedding knots would get tied with a sailor.
    In Wales the trend is of gifting love spoons on the Valentines Day with splendid carvings on it.
    In some countries like US and Canada valentine is not just meant for lovers but it is a day of friendship too when school kids exchange cards among friends and decorate their classrooms and have a nice time. They prepare valentine gifts. Sometimes they draw cards for their teachers also. Thanks alot Phew that took me like an hour to write.

Yours truely, howdoifindaname
    jazzy567
    jazzy567

Post by jazzy567 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Valentines day is celebrated on the 14th of February by many people throughout the world. It is a traditional day to express love by sending cards and flowers and candy.The celebration's name was named after Saint Valentine who died on the 14th of February and was buried in Rome around 270AD.Another Legend of how this day began was that Valentine was a priest in the 3rd century of Rome-When Emperor Claudius II forbid marriage for young men Valentine secretly disobeyed him, When they found out they sentenced him to death on this day. That is why valentine is a special event and is celebrated on this day.Valentine's Day History - Page 2 V-day_10
    howdoifindaname
    howdoifindaname

Post by howdoifindaname Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Let me draw put in a picture I drew. It be here tommorow.
    allstar0014
    allstar0014

Post by allstar0014 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Valentine's Day History - Page 2 Valeti17

(the pic is Cho-cupid put an arrow in vayerman and he has fallen in love with jessie2000!

Facts: A priest named Valentine secretly married couples against the emperor's orders, and, as a result, he was jailed and died on February 14th. In honor of this priest, the Pope named February 14 as St. Valentine's Day.

Fun facts:
    The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare's lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine's Day.

Around 3% of pet owners prefer to give Valentine gifts to their pets, as they are more grateful than humans!

allstar0014
    abish14
    abish14
    Regular
    Regular

Post by abish14 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Valentine's Day, a special day of the year set aside to honor love of all kinds, and especially romantic love. But do you know who Valentine was? Why was this special day set aside to honor St. Valentine?

Here are a variety of stories and legends...

1. Valentine was a Roman priest during the time of Claudis around AD269, who was martyred, then buried on the Flamian Way. He helped Christians during a time of persecution, was caught, put in jail, became a Christian, then was clubbed to death for this on February 14th, 269. While in prison, legend has it that he sent messages to friends saying "Remember your Valentine" and "I love you".

2. In another story, it is said that Valentine was a priest that secretly married couples, defying the Emperor Claudius who had temporary forbid marriages.

3. Valentine was jailed for refusing to worship pagan gods. Making friends with the Jailer's daughter, he is said to have cured her through prayer, and on the date of his execution (Feb. 14th), is said to have writter her a note signed "Your Valentine".

4. Or this 4th story is that Valentine was a bishop of Terni martyred in Rome.

The 14th of February has been set apart as the special day to remember St. Valentine. This was one day before the Roman Feast of Lupercalia, a pagan love festival. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius changed Lupercalia from the 15th to the 14th to try and stop the pagan festival. The church realized that there was nothing wrong with celebrating love, only the pagan elements were wrong. And so Valentine had become known as the patron of love.
    abish14
    abish14
    Regular
    Regular

Post by abish14 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 pm

One February evening in North Chicago, seven well-dressed men were found riddled with bullets inside the S.M.C Cartage Co. garage. They had been lined up against a wall, with their backs to their executioners and shot to death. With the exception of Dr. Reinhardt H. Schwimmer these men were mobsters working under the leadership of gangster and bootlegger, "Bugs" Moran. Within a few seconds, while staring at a bare brick wall, these seven men had become a part of Valentine's Day history: the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

During the height of prohibition and the never-ending competition between gangster rivals Al "Scarface" Capone and George "Bugs" Moran, bloody warfare was nothing new to the authorities of Chicago. However, investigators on the scene found the Valentine's Day Massacre to be somewhat puzzling. The victims were mobsters, with an endless supply of weapons and well known capability for brutality. Why would they turn their backs and face the wall for anyone without putting up a fight? That was one of many questions to be answered.

Another question came about after an eyewitness gave her account of what happened on that night in 1929. She lived directly across the street and had a perfect view of the garage. She claimed to have seen two uniformed policemen exit the garage while escorting two plain clothed men who held their hands up in the air, as if they were under arrest. Of course, this comforted the shaken woman, thinking that the loud gun fire that she had just heard had been resolved and the parties responsible were being taken into custody. However, the Chicago police had no record of any such activity at 2122 Clark Street until they arrived on the scene to find the horrifying blood bath.

When it comes to suspects, a murder mystery can run the gamut of possibilities. In the case of The Valentine's Day Massacre, the person with the most motive was not difficult to come by. Although he claimed to be in Florida at the time of the murders, Al Capone was, without hesitation, the one and only suspect in this infamous crime. Thanks to prohibition, Capone had become the crime czar of Chicago, running gambling, prostitution and bootlegging rackets while continuously expanding his territories by getting rid of rival gangs. Capones fortune was estimated at $60,000,000. That kind of money gave Al Capone one of the oldest and most common motives in murder mystery history. He had to take down "Bugs" Moran at any cost. But as one of the leading gangsters in Chicago, Moran was not an easy person to get rid of. So in order to get rid of Moran, Capone chose to start at the bottom and get rid of Moran's outfit, leaving him defenseless.

When the bodies were discovered splattered on the floor of the garage, it seemed at first glance, that not one single person could have survived the force of the attack. However, this proved to be untrue, when one investigator on the scene found Frank Gusenberg lying amongst the bloody corpses, breathing heavily and choking on his own blood. Immediately, the unconscious victim was taken to the hospital where investigators waited with anticipation for their only possible lead to wake up and finger the men who were responsible. Their greatest fear was that he would die before they had the opportunity to question him, but eventually he did wake. When he was asked for the identity of the killer, he simply stated "I'm not gonna talk," before he laid his head back and died. Without Frank Gusenberg's testimony and with only a few eye witnesses outside the garage, the investigators had to return to the scene of the crime and try to piece the murder together with what information they had.

After a re-enactment of the crime, authorities concluded that the two men dressed as policemen entered the garage and acted as if they were police on a routine investigation. The Moran outfit automatically assumed that they were policemen on a routine sting. It was obvious that they didnt suspect anything questionable with the two uniformed killers or they certainly would have never been killed without a fight. But as it was, the mobsters seemed to have cooperated with the costumed officers and consequently let the fake policemen disarm them and force them up against the wall. As soon as their backs were turned, the two men in plain clothes entered with guns and shot them down.

Therefore, the eye-witnesses were somewhat accurate when they claimed to have seen two policemen arresting two men. What they had actually seen was four brutal murderers making their cleverly planned get away. If a neighbor or neighbors looked out after such rapid and explosive gunfire, what better way to calm their nerves, by letting them think that everything was under control. And indeed it was under control. The mysterious killers drove away into the night, long before anyone thought to call the police, because the neighbors saw from their windows that the police were already there.

As any mystery lover knows, a murder mystery would not be complete without a clear and well defined conclusion, but in the case of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, it has every element of the mystery, but the ending. Al Capone was never arrested for the crimes; the mysterious gun men were never identified and Capone never graced a reader or interested member of the public with an over dramatic confession. Instead, he was blandly indicted for tax evasion some years later and spent seven years in prison only to be released to retire in Florida, where he died from Syphilis in 1947.

In many respects, the Valentine's Day Massacre follows the perfect mystery blueprint up to the end. Although Capone never went into complete detail on the events of the massacre, perhaps he did allude to his future plans for that bloody Valentine's Day in 1929. A few months prior to the murders, Al Capone mentioned to a fellow "associate" his plan to take down Moran. Capone was told by the "associate" that he would have to kill a lot of people in order to get to "Bugs" Moran. It is rumored that Capone replied by simply saying: "I'll send flowers."
    abish14
    abish14
    Regular
    Regular

Post by abish14 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm

Saint Valentine's Day

Saint Valentine's Day, Western European Christian holiday, originally the Roman feast of Lupercalia. It was christianized in memory of the martyrdom of St. Valentine in A.D. 270, who, in medieval times, came to be associated with the union of lovers under conditions of duress. The holiday is celebrated on Feb. 14th by the exchange of romantic or comic verse messages called “valentines.” The first commercial valentine greeting cards produced in the United States were created in the 1840s by Esther A. Howland. Today millions of such cards are sold annually.
    abish14
    abish14
    Regular
    Regular

Post by abish14 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 pm

hehe sry for the triple posts Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 am