Chobots' forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+45
famouschobots
Bellossome
jamesbot
ellahello
clubpenguin_fan
Iva265ch
Love_citizen_ freeship
AgentParis006
Agent-Yellowhouse
crazyha99
chobotreeter
Agent_Artic288
karina.m
faisal
speed
Chewehh
sightens
Yhanz
Bubu1028
smartdetective
reece57
Darkcartman123
chessie123
Bazelnut3
Jess
Nisse54321
Yolande
jglgs1998
Peacemaker
Plunder
Monkeydudes
Robots01
rachie
muttly
jazz
Scribblenaut
domidor
rizeiki
elise__23
bube077
Plutonio
v_chobot
username123456
Guguzi
Hikikomori
49 posters

History of a Snowman

Love_citizen_ freeship
    Love_citizen_ freeship

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Empty Re: History of a Snowman

Post by Love_citizen_ freeship Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Hello this is going to be a history of a snowman:
    The snowman is one of the world's most popular and recognizable icons excluding religious figures. For the first time one of man's oldest forms of folk art has been examined and gets his due. Unfortunately, my findings are not here but this is a taste of the complex and layered history which does exist. My quest, my personal Holy Grail, was to find out who made the first snowman. I devoted six years, traveling around the world, researching the top libraries, institutes and museums and working with historians and cultural experts and come out a snowman expert. I put my intensive findings in a non-fiction, adult book called The History of the Snowman; From the Ice Age to the Flea Market, which is filled with the rarest photos and illustrations as well as the world's funniest snowmen cartoons.[img][/img]History of a Snowman - Page 3 Snow
    karina.m
    karina.m

Post by karina.m Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

all of you great works and drawings are so beautiful and i hope to see more
    Iva265ch
    Iva265ch

Post by Iva265ch Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:29 am

History of a Snowman - Page 3 D4429c11ac7b
    clubpenguin_fan
    clubpenguin_fan

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Empty Snowman

Post by clubpenguin_fan Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:29 am

Packing snow is formed when regular powder snow comes near its melting point and becomes moist and compactible. This allows for the construction of large balls of snow by simply rolling a ball of snow until it grows the desired size. Attempting to make a snowman out of powdered snow is extremely difficult since it will not stick to itself. And if packing snow is not rolled into snowballs before it freezes, it will form an unusable denser form of powdered snow called crust. In Europe and North America, most snowmen are usually built with 3 spheres which contain the head,torso, and lower body. Thus the best time to build a snowman is usually in the next warmest afternoon directly following a snowfall with a sufficient amount of snow.

The common trend is to then dress the snowman, usually with rocks, coal, wood sticks, and vegetables. Carrots or cherries are often used for the nose, as are sticks for arms and stones for eyes (traditionally lumps of coal). Some like to dress their snowmen in clothing (scarves, jackets, hats). However, some may prefer not to risk leaving supplies out doors where they could easily be stolen if someone were so maliciously inclined. Also, snowmen usually melt quite quickly on a hot day, which could cause clothing to become stuck under melting ice if not removed promptly. There are variations to these standard forms. These other types range from snow columns to elaborate snow sculptures (similar to ice sculptures).

Snowmen are usually built with two spheres in East Asia. In Japan, they are called Yuki daruma lit. snow-daruma.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    By clubpenguin_fan
    ellahello
    ellahello

Post by ellahello Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:30 am

It's a well-documented fact that very first snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a Mr. Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul. According to Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves. (Popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents.) Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make (and no doubt, how effective it was at keeping the Boxing Day elves away), children all over the town were making snowmen. Word soon spread and the New York Times dispatched a writer named Hillary Sherpa to check out rumors of a town poulated by snow men. Of course, she found that Eau Clairre was not really populated by snow people, but instead, effigies of people, made of snow, "seemed to virtually populate every corner of the town." According to the Ms. Sherpa's article, even though the snowmen and snowwomen "had an appearance bordering on abysmal, indeed abominable, even" the trend caught on and soon spread nationwide by the eve of the Civil War. When war broke out in South Carolina in 1861, the Times of London (and a host of other international newspapers and news reporting agencies, including Berlin's leading newspaper, Der Kruller) came to the US to report on the war. The TRime os London actually ws the first international newspaper to pick up a story on the tradition of snowmen, more as a human interst story than anything else. And as they say, "the rest is history."The record for the world's largest snowman was set in 2008 in Bethel, Maine. The snow-woman stood 122 feet 1 inch (37.21 m) in height, and was named in honor of Olympia Snowe, a U.S. Senator representing Maine, and currently holds the record for tallest snowman ever made.[2]

The previous record was also a snowman built in Bethel, Maine, in February 1999. The snowman was named "Angus, King of the Mountain" in honor of the then current governor of Maine, Angus King. It was 113 feet 7 inches (34.62 m) tall and weighed over 9,000,000 pounds (4,080,000 kg).[
    [img]History of a Snowman - Page 3 Talles16[/img][img]History of a Snowman - Page 3 Snow_m10[/img]
    jamesbot
    jamesbot

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Empty snowmnan's

Post by jamesbot Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:19 pm

A snowman is a human-like figure constructed from snow.
    A snowman is usually constructed by first rolling a large ball of snow to act as a body. A second (and often a third), smaller ball is placed on top, as a head. Facial features, such as eyes and a mouth are added using coal or small stones, as are buttons. A nose may be added, using a piece of fruit or a vegetable, such as a carrot; sticks are sometimes added as arms. Snowmen often have a pipe and a hat.people mostly make snowman's on christmas santa (if theres snow)

the first snowman and more

it's a well-documented fact that very first snowman was made in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by a Mr. Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul. According to Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves. (Popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents.) Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make (and no doubt, how effective it was at keeping the Boxing Day elves away), children all over the town were making snowmen. Word soon spread and the New York Times dispatched a writer named Hillary Sherpa to check out rumors of a town poulated by snow men. Of course, she found that Eau Clairre was not really populated by snow people, but instead, effigies of people, made of snow, "seemed to virtually populate every corner of the town." According to the Ms. Sherpa's article, even though the snowmen and snowwomen "had an appearance bordering on abysmal, indeed abominable, even" the trend caught on and soon spread nationwide by the eve of the Civil War. When war broke out in South Carolina in 1861, the Times of London (and a host of other international newspapers and news reporting agencies, including Berlin's leading newspaper, Der Kruller) came to the US to report on the war. The TRime os London actually ws the first international newspaper to pick up a story on the tradition of snowmen, more as a human interst story than anything else. And as they say, "the rest is history."

the worlds biggest snowman rendeer

the biggest snowman in the world is in the town of bethal maine.here are some facts about it:
    Height 113 ft. & 7 inches tall
    9,000,000 lbs
    200,000 cubic feet of snow
    4 ft. wreathes as eyes
    6 ft. of chicken wire & muslin for the carrot nose
    6 automobile tires as the mouth
    20 ft. fleece hat
    120 ft. fleece scarf
    3 skidder tires for the buttons
    2 - 10 ft. trees for arms.finaly im done phew that took long im tired now.I tryed my best and looked realy hard study well heres my picture[img]History of a Snowman - Page 3 15y7nk8[/img] Very Happy
    Bellossome
    Bellossome

Post by Bellossome Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:09 pm

History of a snowman:

The first person to build a snowman was in January 7,1809 by a man and his daughter intended to scare away bad elves that tried to reclaim Christmas presents.

World's smallest snowman!:
    Okay so i found a picture of the world's smallest snowman. tongue Here's the pic:
    History of a Snowman - Page 3 Small_10

How to make a snowman:
    First you need to find where you want to build a snowman, and how big you want it to be. Then you need to look for snow that you can use to make a snowman. Snow that isn't very icy or very fluffy because that doesn't work too well. Then you grab a handful of snow and place it on the ground and make it roll as you roll it the snow will get bigger since it sticks to the ground. The first snowball has to be at least 1-3 feet long, or bigger. For the second snowball it has to be a bit smaller. That would be your middle section. Then you make another snowball, this time it would be smaller and that's gonna be the head. Stack snowballs up from largest to smallest to keep balance so it won't fall down. Then, you put a carrot in the middle of the head to make it look like a nose, you can use buttons for the eyes or pebbles. You can add a hat or scarf to your snowman. Then your done with your snowman. Very Happy

My drawing:
    History of a Snowman - Page 3 Snowma11

Merry early Christmas! Very Happy santa

Last edited by Bellossome on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    famouschobots
    famouschobots

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Empty Snowman facts

Post by famouschobots Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:50 pm

History of a Snowman - Page 3 My_sno14

Woot a Snowman contest!Good for getting ready for Christmas!
    santa rendeer afro ooops sorry about the afro guy XD Lolzz!

Anyways here are my facts:

Snowmen are man-like sculptures made of snow!

Snowmen are considered as a symbol of Christmas!

Creating a snowman dates back to atleast the middle ages!!

A snowmen is made by rolling a ball of snow for the body,usually snowmen have at least 2 or 3 snow balls used to make their body!
    People put fruit,vegetables,stones,and small rocks for the mouth,eyes and nose!
    People usually use a carrot for the nose and put a hat on the snowman's head!
    Even sometimes people use a scarf and even a pipe on the mouth!

The biggest snowman(well actually a snowwoman) in the world is located at Bethel Maine And is 113 ft. and 7 inches tall!!(AMAZING EH?! cheers )
    AND IT IS 9,000,000 lbs!!
    It has wreathes for the eyes,Chicken wire and muslin for the carrot nose,automobile tires for the mouth and wears a fleece hat and fleece scarf!

The very first snowman was made in Eau Claire,Wiconsin AND was made on January 7th in the year 1809!And was used to scare away boxing day elves from taking the Christmas presents.And a popular legend says that the elves retreieved the presents!(if it's true or not)

So there my facts but oh no no Dont leave yet the facts isn't all i got some fun things for you now hiki and all cool viewers just before i say goodbye ermm here is a poem of snowmen:

I made a little snowman he had a cheery smile,
    I dressed him in a hat and scarf,
    Then went inside a while,
    The storm came up,
    the wind was fierce,
    My snowman was so chilly,
    But he'd love to come inside,
    But wouldn't that be SILLY!?,
    I told him he was made of snow,
    And then he felt BEFUDDLED!,
    If i agreed and brought him in,
    Then he'd be a PUDDLE!

lol! HOPE U INJOYED!!from famouschobots
    ~famouschobots~
    Happysmile
    Happysmile

Post by Happysmile Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:04 pm

History of a Snowman
    The record for the largest snowman yet build was hold in 2008,Bethel,Maine,the snowman was 122 feet and 1 inch tall,they name the snowman Olympia Snowe.There was a previous record before also in Bethel,Maine but it was in 1999.The snowman was named Angus King he was 113 feet and 7 inches,and it also weighed 9,000,000 pounds!
    Who was the fist person to build a Snowman?
    The first snowman was built in Eau Claire, Wisconsin on January 7, 1809 by Mr.Vernon N. Paul and his nine-year-old daughter, little Yetty Paul.Mr. Paul, he told his daughter that the snowman was intended to frighten away the Boxing Day elves.A popular legend said Boxing Day Elves reclaimed Christmas presents. Once the Paul family's neighbors saw the snowman, and little Yetty explained to her friends how easy it was to make and no doubt, how effective it was at keeping the Boxing Day elves away, children all over the town were making snowmen, and thats how the snowman building started.

Heres my Drawings
    History of a Snowman - Page 3 Jghj10

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Snowma10

~Happysmile~ santa Merry almost christmas rendeer

Last edited by Happysmile on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    shasta6193
    shasta6193

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Empty Earth research, Snowmen.

Post by shasta6193 Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Info:

Packing snow is formed when regular powder snow comes near its melting point and becomes moist and compactible. This allows for the construction of large balls of snow by simply rolling a ball of snow until it grows the desired size. Attempting to make a snowman out of powdered snow is extremely difficult since it will not stick to itself. And if packing snow is not rolled into snowballs before it freezes, it will form an unusable denser form of powdered snow called crust. In Europe and North America, most snowmen are usually built with 3 spheres which contain the head,torso, and lower body. Thus the best time to build a snowman is usually in the next warmest afternoon directly following a snowfall with a sufficient amount of snow.

The common trend is to then dress the snowman, usually with rocks, coal, wood sticks, and vegetables. Carrots or cherries are often used for the nose, as are sticks for arms and stones for eyes (traditionally lumps of coal). Some like to dress their snowmen in clothing (scarves, jackets, hats). However, some may prefer not to risk leaving supplies out doors where they could easily be stolen if someone were so maliciously inclined. Also, snowmen usually melt quite quickly on a hot day, which could cause clothing to become stuck under melting ice if not removed promptly. There are variations to these standard forms. These other types range from snow columns to elaborate snow sculptures

The snowman is one of the world's most popular and recognizable icons excluding religious figures. For the first time one of man's oldest forms of folk art has been examined and gets his due. Unfortunately, my findings are not here but this is a taste of the complex and layered history which does exist. My quest, my personal Holy Grail, was to find out who made the first snowman. I devoted six years, traveling around the world, researching the top libraries, institutes and museums and working with historians and cultural experts and come out a snowman expert. I put my intensive findings in a non-fiction, adult book called The History of the Snowman; From the Ice Age to the Flea Market, which is filled with the rarest photos and illustrations as well as the world's funniest snowmen cartoons.

First snowman:
    It was made in Jan. 7, 1809 by a man and his daughter.

Biggest snowman:
    It was made in Bethel, Maine. It was 9 feet tall!

And here's my picture I drew! lol!
    Saara181
    Saara181

Post by Saara181 Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:12 pm

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Snowma11
    billybubble
    billybubble
    Author
    Author

Post by billybubble Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Good job guys! Smile
    I love your topics!
    smartdetective
    smartdetective

Post by smartdetective Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:06 pm

i wonder who won.. im waiting ...
    Guguzi
    Guguzi
    Agent
    Agent

Post by Guguzi Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Congrats to winners! : ))

I want to add here some Snowman drawings... I know that the Contest is over... But it's ok : )

History of a Snowman - Page 3 Gjd11
    History of a Snowman - Page 3 Ryjh10
    History of a Snowman - Page 3 Yjdjk10
    History of a Snowman - Page 3 Ukf10
    billybubble
    billybubble
    Author
    Author

Post by billybubble Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:57 am

Yay! They are so cute! Smile
    Thank you Guguzi!